“Our Wedding 10/13/12”

Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Northern Virginia
“Our Wedding 10/13/12”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The Westin Alexandria made all our wedding dreams come true! Our wedding was everything that I envisioned it to be, and I have the Catering Manager, David Magsumbol, to thank for that. I so enjoyed working with David; he was always professional, attentive, and especially kind. All the members of the Westin team--Agnes, Beth, Jessica, Rachel, Marie, and Guillermo--were truly wonderful to work with. Every single detail was attended to with care and diligence, resulting in an absolutely stunning and seamless wedding affair. Many of our guests said that it was the best wedding that they had ever attended and felt that the flow of the event and the service were well executed.

The chef is to be acknowledged for creating incredibly delicious appetizers and meals for our affair. Many of our guests were also amazed with the appetizers and meals, stating it was the best food they’d ever had at a wedding. I was extremely impressed when one of my gluten-free guests told me that the chef came to her table to introduce himself and ensure that her meal was being prepared properly.

The Westin Alexandria is a gorgeous hotel that offers a “boutique” atmosphere. Every member of the hotel staff was accommodating and clearly devoted to making sure that our guests had a pleasurable stay. The newly redesigned restaurant/bar is stunning and offered fantastic meals. I heard countless compliments from our guests about how delicious and artistic the food was. Our guests really enjoyed the location of the hotel because they were easily able to access Washington, DC, and tour the Old Town Alexandria area. One guest from California said, “I felt like this was a true Virginian destination wedding.”

This hotel is in a class above all the rest. You will be extremely impressed with every aspect of the hotel: the contemporary design, the gracious and accommodating staff, and the amazing food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Great hotel, with a great location convenient to King Street Metro and kind staff. The shuttle to Old Town Alexandria is nice, too. They will charge you for anything, though, including maid service (you get a credit to your room if you remember to put out the no-service sign by 2AM) and especially wifi.

We'd stay here again, although it would be nice if Westin would just let you get on the computer and have some amenities without paying.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We just spent one night at the Westin in Alexandria and we were thrilled! The staff here is amazing. From the desk clerk that made us feel like we had just arrived for a family reunion to the driver of the Westin van that took us down to King st for free. I had a fever and didn't feel well in the evening and Juan went out of his way to get hot tea with honey and lemon for me! This hotel is beautiful and the staff is amazing. I would agree about other reviews about charging for WIFI. It seems unnecessary in this age. We can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Got a hot deal on Hotwire and was pleasantly surprised to see the hotel I got... beautiful hotel, not quite in the heart of Old Town but within a 20-25 min. walk to the waterfront and the Old Town King Street restaurants. The hotel itself was quiet and the room was great (great bed, clean, etc.) but there were very few restaurants in the surrounding neighborhood. The neighborhood was very quiet and safe (stayed on a Saturday night before going to FedEx field for the football game) and we just walked around randomly looking for something open... ended up at a Jerry's Subs & Pizza (which was awesome by the way) next to a 7-11, both about two blocks away. Valet parking was $$ but free street parking on weekends, so I just drove around until I found a spot... The King Street Metro is about a 10 minute walk but parking is metered so during the week if you don't want to fork out the $$ you'd have to hit one of the regular parking lots or garages.

The only thing that made me drop a star was that the internet isn't free!!! Seriously, what is up with these four-five star hotels charging for internet?? Even the local Starbucks has free wifi-- LOL!! :)

Room Tip: Regular room is great, took the luck of the draw on Hotwire.com for a great rate!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Hall_family2011,

Thank youf or staying with us and for taking the time to share your comments. Needless to say, I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Collierville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I am writing this review while in my Westin room. The hotel is average and what you'd expect from a Westin brand. The location is in a business area meaning if you stay on a weekend nearby places to eat are closed. There is a Starbucks nearby and a whole foods market but otherwise you'll need to venture down King street to find restaurants a mile or so walk. The metro is close by to access Washington DC. The in hotel restaurant is limited and under renovation so a adhoc area for dining is setup on the conference floor. Parking is expensive @ $26 a day. Street parking is free on the weekend which is a plus. Now, the dog. I like dogs but not one next to my room yapping all day and night. Since when does a Westin allow dogs in the hotel? I must have missed this trend. The dog would be fine if it wasn't for the barking. Also what about people with allergies. I did not make a huge fuss since most likely I would have been moved. My trip advisor review was my best response. Also,the green program is a good option but garbage and towel swap option would be beneficial. Overall an ok Westin but advise looking at other options. My rate was a Hotwire deal so just be aware.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kevin C
Dear Kevin C

Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your comments. We value the feedback. I know our restaurant was under renovation while you were here and hope that did not cause too much inconvenience. I am happy to report that as of today we have reopened with a new name, Trademark, and a new concept that we are confident will enhance our guest experience. We are dog friendly and generally they do not cause a problem for our guests, however, there are those instances that need to be addressed like the allergy situation or the barking that you mention. If brought to our attention we will handle approriately to insure your comfort. We want to insure our parking rates are competitive within the Alexandria market and will continue to evaluate this while hoping you will see an advantage to having the valet parking and the security that goes with it. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us. I would welcome the opportunity to personally look after your accomodations in the future.

New York
Reviewed October 7, 2012

For my meeting in Washington DC I decided to get more bang for my buck by staying outside the DC area. The Westin Alexandria was a great choice. I got an excellent deal on Hotwire for this four star hotel. The Metro was four or so blocks away but I thought the varied pricing of the train was absurd. I chose to travel by car for my commute. The front staff and concierge were the highlight of the stay. Upbeat, friendly, and very accommodating. I think the $26.00 per night to park is ridiculous and paying for in room Internet is archaic. Still the hotel gym was adequate and the pool and jacuzzi keep clean and stocked with towels. Right now the restaurant and bar are going through renovations. For me it did not matter as I got breakfast on the go. Overall, this hotel gets a resounding "Yes" for both business and families traveling.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We reserve the room with one credit card and produced another upon check in for any incidentals. We found out a month later that Westin charged both credit cards for the room. We got the run around for 2 months and never received a refund. The TV didn't work - Lodgenet was down. They didn't mention at check in but apparently was down for days. Something was scratching behind the headboard. It woke me up a couple times during the night. When you went to inspect it would go silent. When you dozed off it would reappear. I was sitting in the lobby waiting on the valet. This manager comes over like a mob boss and wanted to know what I was doing there. I was dressed nice and only their for a few minutes. Parking is bad because of a federal courthouse across the street. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. There are a lot of nice places to stay in Alexandria. Bypass this place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sam S
Dear Sam S,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for taking the time to share your comments. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the incoveniences you experienced. Clearly there were a number of opportunites where we could have performed better and we will use your comments as a vehicle for further training. I do hope we might have another opportunity to be a service in order to make things right. I would encourage you to reach out to me directly and I will personally look after your accomodations.