“Attractive hotel, nice (typical) function spaces”

The Westin Alexandria
Ranked #13 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Arlington, Virginia
“Attractive hotel, nice (typical) function spaces”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I attended a wedding ceremony and reception held in the hotel (note: I was not an overnight guest.) I enjoyed the main lobby, with its impressive, soaring, all-wood artisan clock sculpture. The common area spaces were handsome & tastefully appointed. The wedding was in one smaller ballroom/meeting room space (decorated very nicely) while the dinner & reception was in a larger space next door. In between was a cocktail/appetizer hour held along the wide, spacious hall connecting all the other meeting rooms. (I think the wedding was the only private event scheduled that evening, and so we didn't "bump into" other parties, etc.) At all points in the evening, the hotel staff I encountered were friendly and helpful. The food (appetizers and later, dinner) was really good all around, and the hotel-supplied bartender made good mixed drinks. The restrooms seemed quite a distance away from all the action, but that isn't too unusual on the "meeting facility" floor of a larger hotel like this. The restrooms were very clean and attractive, as well. There doesn't seem to be good public parking at this hotel---at least on this visit, there was only valet service (or curb parking in the neighborhood, if you could find it.) I didn't see a public entrance to the hotel garage, so it may be 100% valet at all times---I'm not sure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris B
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear cbudny,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. From the sound of things, it appears you enjoyed your experience while attending a wedding recently. Your description of our facilites was accurate and detailed, and, I was particularly pleased with your comments regarding the staff. Regarding the parking, we do offer valet service only in our garage, however, self parking is available on the street and in other garages right nearby. Hoping to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Rich Casale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Brookings, South Dakota
Reviewed September 12, 2012

The Westin hotel is a short walk to the King Street Metro and the top end of King Street itself. Their restaurant is under renovation and I would not recommend their breakfast buffet held temporarily on the 2nd floor due to the high price and lower value. They do have some excellent recommendations for local dining however and the rooms are nice and quiet, although do ask for a street side room if you like views.

Room Tip: If you like a view of any sorts ask for a street side room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Tami1815,

Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your comments. I was glad to know you enjoyed your stay. Your comments concerning our temporary breakfast buffet have been noted and adjustments can be made accordingly. I am happy to report that our restaurant renovation is moving along nicely and we expect to reopen as of early October. Hope to see you back again soon to experience our exciting new concept.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I stayed at the Westin for Labor Day Weekend. From Friday until Monday. My view in my room was not very nice and there was a creepy stain by the bed when I first checked in. I asked to have my room changed and even though they had a 3 day wedding party, they managed to get in me in a room with no creepy stains and a beautiful view.

I never expect hotels to be perfect but I'm quite pleased when a hotel does their best to accommodate one's requests.

But this is where they really impressed me... I have a condition that causes low blood sugar and while I was out in Old Town I started to get very sick and almost passed out. I began to go into hypoglycemic shock. I called the shuttle from the hotel and pleaded with them to come pick me up immediately as I was having a medical issue. They were there in minutes and had me back to my room in lightening speed (I had glucose in my room). I was alone at this point on the trip and was very grateful they were so kind.

Due to my hypoglycemic shock, I was sick one entire day and stayed in my room for the remainder of the day and night.

The restaurant was closed and it was very confusing about where and what would be served in lieu of the restaurant. Staff seemed confused by it as well as I was instructed I could not order food at night from the second floor (where accommodations had been made for food) and my only option was room service. I ordered a burger and a beer... it almost $40! I complained I didn't think we should pay the delivery fee since their restaurant was closed and they didn't discount our room rates in any way. When the food was delivered, the gentlemen informed me I could have ordered from the second floor and avoided all the fees and the lady I spoke with earlier was incorrect.... now I'm mildly annoyed. I decide to eat before calling down stairs as I still was not feeling well. Before I could even call the front desk about it, they called me and stated they heard I was not happy with the confusion and additional fees, they discounted my meal by 20% without me even asking. Funny because that was more than I was asking them to discount. None the less, I think it was a kind gesture given the hassle it was to get some food when I was sick and not thinking very clearly.

The walls are incredibly thin and it is fairly loud in the room, you can hear the neighbors. I didn't really care but some people might. The other downer was the AC in the indoor pool was broken so it was unbearable to go in.

The valet staff were incredibly friendly. I spoke with them often when I would smoke a cigarette. The evening I was so sick, the valet offered to have tea and honey sent up to my room for me. I thought this was above and beyond and was impressed!!

I would stay here again. Even though some things weren't right, they did everything they could to make my stay comfortable and accommodated my requests. Nice job Westin!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed September 8, 2012

It is clean and rooms are nice. However, this is a hotel that nickels and dimes you and pays scant attention to details. The nickels and dimes, include having to pay for internet access as well as making calls, even to an 800 number. I was also surprised by the deceptive placement of water bottles in the room. There are two, each with the exact informational tag around their neck. In tiny print, one says complimentary, the other $4.00. I had assumed, after having taken the one complimentary that the other one was as well - until I squinted and saw it cost $4.00. The lack of attention to detail includes a skinny bar of soap that slides through the openings of the soap holder in the shower (shower is very nice by the way); and coffee stirrers that are too short for size of the coffee cups.. so the stick slides into the coffee. For a good laugh, stand in the lobby and watch folks trying to enter through the "automatic" revolving doors.

The 3 block walk to metro is doable but long. There is little around the hotel. While I was here the restaurant and bar were closed for "renewal." Finally, they have a "green" program whereby if you wish, you get no service to your room at all -- no making of the bed, emptying garbage, tidying up. Sounds like it might have other business objectives than saving the planet.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JRPStPaul
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear JRPStPaul,

Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your comments. It is not our intent to "nickel and dime" as you mention and I appreciate your perspective so we can continually evaluate what in fact we are charging for and why. Our green program is in fact voluntary and intended to allow our guests an opportunity to help us preserve the environment. When our guests do opt in we typically do not enter the room to service however can certainly do that at any time upon request. I was glad to know you found our rooms clean and accomodating. Thank you again.

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for one night, and I wish the trip had been longer. Beautiful hotel; impeccable guest services; luxurious appointments. Good value. The location is a bit off the beaten path for DC tourists, but a lovely spot nonetheless.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Westin in Alexandria for 3 nights for a weekend-long wedding. The hotel is updated, very clean, and the beds are wonderful. There is a safe in the hotel room, along with a fridge, and you get a lot of space. The bathrooms are great (excellent water pressure in the shower), and the staff is very accommodating. Honestly, the only reason I didn't give it a 5/5 is for the following: 1. They charge for internet which is archaic and if I had a choice of hotels I almost always choose the one with free wi-fi access. There is no reason to charge for internet in hotels nowadays. 2. There is only the one option of a breakfast buffet, which is limiting and not worth the @20. Either add more food options to the buffet or allow guests to order food a la carte in case they don't want to spend that much on breakfast. But overall, our stay was great. In response to another review, the Valet parking was free so I can't complain about that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
maryland
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed at the Westin in Alexandria for a one night last minute trip. The Hotel overall is clean, and has a newer feel. I would recommended this Hotel, but I would share my experience.

PROS:
1 - The Hotel is clean and nicely decorated. The Lobby is very nice.
2 - Rooms have all the standard amenities.
3 - Felt safe!

CONS:
1 - You have to pay for the Interenet! In this day and age, I find this so outdated and not customer friendly.
2 - Valet Parking only option.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mdgirl86
WestinAlexndria, General Manager at The Westin Alexandria, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear mdgirl86,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently. Your comments seem to point to an enjoyable stay. While we do charge for internet and parking as your point out, we try to position everything competitively. The valet parking does insure convenience and security while you are here. Thanks and hope to see you again soon.