“Average food, decent beer, terrible smell”

Daniel O'Connell's Irish Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #15 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Union Street
Transit: O'Connell's closest metro is King street metro stop. You can jump on the Dash bus and it drops you at Fairfax and King, just two blocks from us ! Or try a water taxi from Dc into the port at the foot of King street.
Description: Sink into our comfortable surroundings in our truly unique atmosphere. View our mesmerizing array of Irish historical antiques and stroll through four ancient Irish bars with blazing fires. Enjoy the company of our warm Irish staff and meet the lovely people of Old Town. At Daniel O'Connell's, every balcony, nook and cranny has a story to tell and we invite you to learn about them while indulging in the bold and exciting culinary delights originally from modern Ireland.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Average food, decent beer, terrible smell”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This place is somewhat lowest-common-denominator. The food is fine- I can't imagine ever craving anything on their menu but it is good enough when it's in front of you. The beer is cold and they have good options. What scares me away is the smell; they sometimes have a wafting damp, stale beer, or even urine smell in some corners. The response? Scented candles.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank RichDC87

Daphne, Alabama
“Seemed authentic - good food, poor service”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Never having been to Ireland, I'm not sure, but the menu seemed authentic, and our waiter was definitely the real thing. We could have listened to his Irish brogue all night!

The meals were hearty, but not overwhelming. There were lots of good choices. We went with the waiter's suggestion (we just wanted to hear him talk more), and were not disappointed.

The service could have been a little better. The person who delivered our food apparently did not understand English, as we asked for another round of drinks, and he nodded, said yes, and disappeared with no follow up. We had to go look for our waiter, as he didn't check on us very often. We had to wait for silverware after our meals were served.

Note: I accidentally hit the "bar scene" and "outdoor seating" ratings. Don't know how to clear them.

• Visited September 2013
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Old Pub Feel”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is one of our main stops whenever we're in Alexandria. Love the lay out in this place. Big screen TV's all over, and seats facing in every direction, so you're sure to have a good view of the game. Beer selection is respectable - draft & bottle. Doesn't matter if you're at a table, or at the bar, the entire staff is extremely attentive. We usually get dinner here, which is deee-lish, but this time it was just a late night cocktail. We will return!

Passaic, New Jersey
“Authentic Pub Feel - Great Food!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Stopped by excellentO'Connell's just before we left Alexandria. It was a perfect end to our trip - an authentic "old town" feel and great service!

I had Chicken Curry, my husband had Shepherd's Pie and our friend haf Fish and Chips. All were excellently flavored. (My Chicken Curry was my favorite.)

Or waitress was very attentive.

Overall an authentic and delicious meal.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Maybe it's better at night?”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We walked in, and right away the service wasn't great. The guy by the host's podium barely looked at us before swiping the menus from the table and saying 'up here' over his shoulder as he led us up the stairs to the restaurant (I don't think there was an elevator, so if you are mobility impaired or are with someone very old, this might present an issue).

Our waitress was nice enough. The food, however, was not. I got a burger which had tons of those hard little white things in it (gross), the fries are very oily and not at all like what you'd find in a real chip shop. My friend's sandwich, which I tasted, was just really bland and had a weird taste. There were a few people there, mostly people with kids and babies.

I wouldn't eat here again. I might go during the Six Nations or something like that, to be with a bunch of Irish people and drink at the bar...but I would never order food.

1 Thank 2TravellingBrits