“This place is some of the best food we have eaten!”
Review of Cosmopolitan

Cosmopolitan
Ranked #3 of 820 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Eastern European, Central European
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Huntington
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I have driven by this strip mall 100 times and always overlooked this place. On Sunday the place we wanted to eat at was closed we took a chance and went to Cosmopolitan....WOW!

It is cozy and romantic inside, with comfortable seating and lovely lighting. The Bosnian family was kind and welcoming.

On to the food...We started with a bottle of wine from their local country. The bouquet was rich and floral and the linger notes were spicy. We tend to favor the large, full-bodied Cabs and Spanish reds and this was certainly a departure from those flavors. But as we drank the wine with the food, it accompanied it well.

At our server's recommendation (very kind Ramona) we started with the sausage. They were delicate in texture and appeared to be sauteed. They were served with a roasted red-pepper and eggplant sauce and raw onions. The sauce they were served with was average but they were so full of flavor they didn't need the sauce.

All the tables were given homemade bread and a dipping spread made of sour cream, feta cheese and cream cheese, very tasty.

The schnitzel was to die for. Buttery, crispy and tender; the best my boyfriend had ever had. It comes with either a salad or fries but my very smart boyfriend ordered the spatzel. It is a small pasta like noodle that is a bit crispy on the outside and tender like a potato dumpling on the inside. On top they served caramelized onions; Absolutely yummy comfort food. It was like eating in your grandmothers kitchen; well if your grandmother was a terrific Bosnian chef!

I ordered the stuffed Veal, it was crispy and breaded like the schnitzel, but it was rolled up and on the inside was a cheese mixture with spicy peppers. Very good but I was drawn to the delicious simplicity of my boyfriend's meal more. Mine came with roasted potatoes and I should have at least tasted them but we were too busy fighting over the last nibble of spatzel. They looked good and well seasoned.

We did not order desert but I am sure we will next time we go...this will easily become one of our favorite hidden gems to eat at.

The only tips I have is the place got very (surprisingly) busy, even on a cold Sunday night...so you may want to make reservations. In addition the portions were very large and I think two people could do very well eating an appetizer and an entrée. My only regret is not taking a picture of our beautiful meals to share with you.

1  Thank Margaret H

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Contrary to an earlier reviewer who concluded the restaurant was “not worth making a trip,” our friends and I traveled about 20 miles one way from the Fairfax area to the restaurant and were quite happy to do so. In addition, all of us had lived in Vienna, Austria, for several years and so we’re quite familiar with the type of cuisine on offer. I ordered the mixed grill, in order to sample the restaurant’s cevapcici (which Wikipedia defines as “a grilled dish of minced meat, a type of kebab, found traditionally in the countries of southeastern Europe”). The cevapcici were exactly the same as the ones I had in Vienna, not overcooked and with just the right flavor. My friend was very happy with his Pikata Chicken Schnitzel. While we didn’t try them, I’m sure the wienerschnitzel and other schnitzel would have been just as good, prepared in the true Austrian style by pounding the veal thin and to fork tenderness. The DC area doesn’t have many restaurants that offer Central European cuisine, and so I’m happy to have made my way to the Cosmopolitan Grill after Temel closed in Fairfax.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Hidden away in a strip mall on a busy highway, this has become my favorite restaurant in the Alexandria area. The food is consistently fresh, well prepared and always a bargain. Everything I've ever ordered is delicious, my favorite being the chicken piccata, and the salads are huge and fresh. The Bosnian immigrant family the runs the business and invariably makes guests feel comfortable and at home. Like so many European restaurants, Cosmopolitan has a special of the day, and it's a great way to try new things at a reduced cot. I love this restaurant!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

First, the atmosphere is friendly and the staff attentive. Don't believe the write-ups about items like schnitzel (over cooked, dry, and under seasoned) but the specialty Serbian items are very good. Salads are salads--just getting your greens. Avoid the desserts--cheese cake was not good. If back in that hood, I'd give it another chance, but clearly not worth making a trip.

1  Thank 1LarryFox
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I took my family here based on the excellent recommendations in Trip Advisor, and despite our laser focus on anything that might be not right, we found absolutely nothing. Instead, we had a delightful meal and will be coming back.

My wife had the Zuriche Geschnetzeltes, thin-sliced veal in a mushroom cream sauce with spaetzle as the side. I sampled it, confirming her view that it was as good as we have had anywhere in the German-cuisine countries.

My son had the stuffed veal, and even though he is very tall and husky, he could barely finish it. My daughter had the chicken schnitzel with a salad, and found the combination perfect.

I asked for the wiener schnitzel with spaetzle as the side, even though it's not on the menu. The waiter smiled, saying the word "no" is not in their vocabulary.

We took some baklava home for later, and they were as good as they looked.

The waiters add to the overall experience, and I feel comfortable recommending this restaurant to one and all.

1  Thank Anthony-Susan