New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Cosmopolitan

Cosmopolitan
Ranked #30 of 733 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: European, Central European, German, Eastern European
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Huntington
“Casual dining at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I found Cosmo on tripadvisor and am so thankful! I prefer to try local restaurants to the trendy over-priced tourist restaurants.
I agree with other reviews that the neighborhood is off-putting if you've been hanging out in the "pretty parts" of the touristy areas. However, aren't some of the best local establishments usually in the older parts of a town?
At Cosmo, I was greeted promptly and professionally by a mature woman. Given my choice of a few areas to be seated I chose a quiet corner near the restrooms.
I asked her for a wine recommendation and she promptly brought two reds (after asking my preference) from Croatia. I liked them both and chose the Bubic.
I was given wine, ice water and warm, delicious bread very quickly following my arrival. I was given time to peruse the menu and when asked which of two entrees she recommends she responded with the Wiener Schnitzel without pause.
The entree was tender and perfectly pan-fried along-side a fresh, crisp salad. My water was refilled promptly. Every server smiled at me as they walked by my table but weren't intrusive in any way. I enjoyed the nice music and atmosphere very much! I'd highly recommend this lovely restaurant!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Susan H

Alexandria Virginia
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

This extraordinary eating establishment is called a bistro for a reason. It has a smaller menu than a full restaurant – about 15 entrees and a few simple side dishes - but everything on it is excellent. The offering is a mix of Central European and Northern Balkan. The foods may sound foreign to the ear but most palates will welcome them without hesitation. The wines are Slovenian and Croatian – not well known in this country and for that reason very reasonably priced. There is a slight problem with the deserts – they are by all accounts delicious, but the entrée portions are so ample you may not have room. That happens to me more often than not.

The other reviews have done an excellent job of describing the food, so I would like to focus on a few aspects mentioned less often. First, the listing says they are located in the Huntington area, and that’s just way wrong. They are located on US Route 1 in Hybla Valley, on the right side of the road as you drive south. Second, as noted by others, the neighborhood does not look as if it harbors such a fine establishment. In fact, I found it while looking for a place to eat while having new tires put on my car about 100 yards away. Don’t let that deter you. And yes there is a Gold’s Gym next door. Don’t knock it- it makes the bistro much easier to find. Third, it has reached the point where it pays to call for a reservation on weekends if you want to ensure a table. Word has definitely gotten around. Fourth, it has two big screen TVs, on opposing walls, but don’t let that put you off. One is set on news and the other is usually soccer, but the sound is turned off. It works. The sound level in the room is civilized and you can talk to your dinner companion without straining your ear or voice. Five, the overall ambience is really enjoyable. It’s not fancy, but it’s somehow really nice, and we are always glad we came.

I would like to close by noting the extraordinary hospitality we have always found there. My wife has difficulty walking and rising from a chair. They are always very kind and thoughtful, placing us in seating which is best for her even if it means taking up a table for four. Moreover, throughout the dinner, whether taking the order, or refilling the glasses, or just checking up, they are just incredibly pleasant. Finally, in the rest room there is a very well placed grab bar to make rising unassisted easier or possible. I know that’s an odd thing to put in a review, but if you or a loved one have similar problems, you will understand how important that can be. The owners really do try to make the experience as nice as they can for everyone.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Olearius
Fleetwood, PA
“Eastern European food with regional wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

A special red wine (nicknamed red granite) was a wonderful treat and good accompaniment to cevapcici (wonderful sausages--don't think sausage, think heavenly garlic flavored morsels of succulent meat) a delicious appetizer of thin bread, crusty yet soft inside with soft cheese spread, and Jagerschnitzel (cream sauce with mushrooms on cutlet) accompanied by grilled vegetables. Nice selection of beer, too. Restaurant is very small, so call ahead. Plenty of parking in lot in front of building. As others have said, don't be put off by strip mall location; this is like meeting family from the old country--hospitable, gracious, warm, wanting to please you from the moment you open the door, serving exceptional food at very reasonable prices. The dessert crepes are not to be missed.

Visited May 2013
Newtown, Pennsylvania
“A taste of Europe in the midst of strip malls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

If it hadn't been for trip advisor, we would not have eaten at Cosmopolitan, and I am SO glad we did. We were driving to Gunston Hall from Old Alexandria and wanted to eat on the way. Little did we realize the restaurant was 6-10 miles outside Alexandria in the midst of strip malls along the hi-way. Located next to Gold's Gym and nondescript on the exterior. Inside, the restaurant was warm with a very friendly bartender and waitress. It was 2:30, and the restaurant was full---a sign of a good restaurant. I ordered the jager schitzel with mushroom gravy that included a plate full of roasted, fresh vegetables---delicious! My husband ordered the wiener schnitzel which included a large green salad---which he declared to be the best veal he had ever eaten, including Germany, The warm bread with dipping oil was so good the waitress brought us seconds. We ordered cake to eat later. The prices are very fair. We were back on the road in less than an hour, and very satisfied. We will definitely return to Cosmopolitan the next time we are in the area to visit our son.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank mimibreeze
Alexandria, Virginia
“Returning next weekend!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We hadn't been here for more than a year but made it back for lunch on Saturday and it was divine! Best weiner schniztel (better than even in Vienna) and lovely bread with dipping sauce. But the surprise was the Bosnian Burger, a grilled meat patty which is really like a shashlik. Home made bread/roll grilled and topped with creamy sauce, fresh opnions, lovely salad.
Thanks again! Will pre-order the Burek for our next lunch. Dying to try it.

• Visited April 2013