“A nice meal before or after visiting Mt. Vernon”
Review of Cosmopolitan

Cosmopolitan
Ranked #46 of 771 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Eastern European, Central European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Huntington
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I used Trip Advisor to find a restaurant near George Washington's Mount Vernon estate. We stopped in for lunch just after they opened. As other reviewers have commented, the interior is much nicer than the non-descript exterior.

Our server was a pleasant young lady. I have a Bosnian friend who recommended I try some Ćevapčići. I ordered them in an appetizer with the ajvar spread and it was nice combination. I could have ordered a few more plates they were so delicious.

My wife had the Camembert Salad which came with a large amount of spring mix greens.

I ordered the Wiener Schnitzel with fries. A very large piece of veal and an abundant amount of fries.

If I lived in the area, I would definitely go back to try some of the other items listed on the menu.
Definitely recommend.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Family run restaurant featuring Central European food (German, Swiss, Austrian, Croatian, Bosnian, Hungarian) prepared fresh from organic produce and meat. Desserts are made by the owner's wife and they are TO DIE FOR! I recommend their Wiener Snitzel, Jagger Snitzel, mushrooms, soup, salads, mushrooms, fries, and house cake is a MUST. Their baklava is excellent.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We really enjoyed our meal at this Bosnian restaurant. My husband and I shared the grilled platter for two -- we had excellend grilled chix, steak, shrimp and beef "sausage" which were really like seasoned burger meat shaped into sausages like breakfast links--very different and juicy. The salad as like greek salad but could use some lettuce to lighten it up. My husband also ordered a side of fries which were very good but ended up being WAAAAYYY too much food for two. We tried Croatian white wine (Sauvignon Blanc) and it was great and very reasonable. Try this place. It looks much nicer inside than it does from the curbside (right next to Gold's Gym).

Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and I were planning a business trip to Washington, DC/Alexandria, VA for June 2012. So I researched the restaurants and attractions near where we were going to stay. I happened upon an article in the Washington Post reviewing the Cosmopolitan Grill. The review gave the place a so-so rating but I was more than interested in try it when I read about the heritage of the restaurant owners and the cuisine they serve.

Since I was a child my parents have traveled to Eastern Europe doing humanitarian aid and economic development projects. I always felt drawn to go there myself. I was able to go twice in my late teens and it forever changed my life. I will go back anytime that I can and I will always feel connected to the people, the cultures, and the conflicts.

On our six day trip we went back twice. The wait staff were kind to us and acted grateful for our patronage. It is family owned and operated so you can tell they care. It is hardly a charming location but the people and the food are AMAZING.

The baklava and traditional coffee were just as I remembered. I strongly suggest ordering the burek (savory pastries) ahead of time. We ordered 12 to bring home and I wished I’d ordered a 100! The cheese burek is heaven! I will go back as soon as I can!

Reviewed May 31, 2012

The owner chef is quite talented and creates the only Eastern European food in the area. It is a liitle Croatian, Hungarian and German, in influence. The lamb was excellent and the home made spaetzle delicious. There are interesting Croatian wines that are unusual and reasonably priced. The small cheap paper napkins really detract from an attempt at character which incorporates red table cloths with white paper covers. Larger napkins or washable cloth napkins would really help!!!! I may bring my own napkins next trrip! There is a loyal customer base and families are welcome. Other customers love the chicken. All the meats and poultry are obtained from small farms in Pennsylvania and are both well priced and better quality than expected.