“Great custard”

Ranked #2 of 31 Dessert in Alexandria
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We loved the custard and the fact that they had not only the standard vanilla and chocolate, but also had strawberry custard. Doggie ice cream for sale was an added bonus. We didn't try the hard serve ice cream, but there were lots of options. The line was a little long, but it moved quickly. We will definitely visit again.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Heard a lot of good things about the custard here so decided to check it out on a weekend. There was a long line inside the store but was moving fairly quickly. They have several items on the menu, but custard and sherbet seem to be specialities. The atmosphere is very casual and you can tell the locals love this place.

I went with the fudge brownie sundae. They load it up with lots of brownies and give you a good amount for how much you pay. However, I didn't find the custard to be anything out of the ordinary. My friend ordered the strawberry rhubarb pie + scoop of custard and also though it was average.

It may be worth stopping by if you're in the Del Ray area, but don't have high expectations.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

If you like frozen custard and you know about Carl's in Fredericksburg, you will love this place. It's got everything Carl's has and you don't have to wait for over an hour to drive down 95 to get to Carl's because this place is in Del Ray.
My daughter and I got the frozen custard and it was just as good if not better than Carl's and to me, Carl's is the place to beat. And yes, you'll have a line to get in just like Carl's BUT for those of you who are digital $$ folks, The Dairy Godmother takes CREDIT CARDS!!!
You gotta go. I'm going back. I'm in heaven without having to be in a traffic jam going to Fredericksburg!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

We were staying in Old Town and we were wanting something sweet and we found the Dairy Godmother. I enjoyed it. I had a turtle sundae. Yummy! My mom and sister had Cherry Blossom ice cream sandwiches. They said they were good as well. Also bought some homemade dog treats and some cookies for humans! No complaints. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

I've been going here for years. Love the chocolate custard. I really love the almond tuilles. Cool vibe. Can't wait to go back.