“Amazing frozen custard!”

Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“Amazing frozen custard!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I could not believe the line! It was around 8pm on a Thursday and the line went out the door!! I got mint chocolate chip and it was so yummy!! I also bought some of the soda they have out while waiting in line... the ginger ale was very ginger-y, the root beer was yummy, grape soda was okay, but the cherry cola was amazing! The prices on the custard were a bit high, in my opinion, but I don't plan on going there every day.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Syrup15

Boston
“Phenomenal new taste treat (and great cobbler too)”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Ice cream joints in summer are like cheap beer: they don’t have to be particularly good to fill the need. But The Dairy Godmother wowed us. We are grateful that our relatives, Alexandria locals, were thoughtful enough to bring us to this place. Start with the frozen custard: we did not know what to expect, having never had it before, but we were prepared for the worst after eating fro-yo one night at Yogiberry (underflavored and underwhelming) and gelato the next night at Killer ESP (where the gelato tasted weak and the staff was rude to our daughter). Instead, we got a phenomenal new taste treat. I won’t repeat all the reviews and web sites that explain what frozen custard is. If you are from the Midwest, you know anyway. This place is a bit short on flavors (just three – I had the Chocolate Heathbar, though there is a different flavor every night in addition to chocolate and vanilla so you may not see that one) and the service was not spectacular, though it was not bad. (Other reviews have lambasted this place for surly service). But the peach cobbler was fantastic and the custard not as rich or fatty as ice cream but highly flavorful and very satisfying indeed. Plus we got to take turns sitting in the “President Obama” chair. The kids were happy, the grownups were happy and we wished we lived closer so that we could visit again.

• Visited September 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
“Too Little, Too Much”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

High prices for, in my opinion, ordinary ice cream custard. However, locals seem to like it as they wait patiently in a queu for their purchase.

Visited July 2012
Grand Forks, North Dakota
“Fresh frozen custard with sooo many toppings”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is not a pretentious 'ice cream' parlor. They serve three different flavors of frozen custard and a few other frozen treats. I had the chocolate, one friend ordered the vanilla and another ordered a combo of the vanilla and almond. You can see the custard coming freshly churned into a receptacle. As a result the custard you get is a little on the runny side.
My chocolate was served with heath bar. And this is no heath bar dusting. There were literally CHUNKS of heath bar on my custard. They didn't skimp. My friend who ordered the almond/vanilla said almond was too subtle for his tastes. It tasted to him like they ground up a few almonds and added it to the vanilla, calling it almond.
The tables were clean enough inside. There is no seating outside, but many people grab a dish and enjoy the Del Ray neighborhood outside.
This was a fun activity for me to do with my friends, but I wouldn't make a special trip just to enjoy the custard. It's not THAT good

• Visited August 2012
Alexandria, VA
“Wisconsin in Metropolitan Washington”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Yes, you can get frozen custard with a Wisconsin touch here in Washington. The Dairy Godmother fulfills its promise to provide you with a memorable dessert in the Del Ray area of Alexandria. There are usually three regular flavors with a few specials everyday. A waffle cone that holds two or three scoops is the best way to be assured that you have sampled the full range of flavors. The lines are usually long and any seating difficult to find so adjourn to the front benches on a pleasant afternoon or evening and enjoy the sights and sounds of pedestrians on Mount Vernon Avenue. A warning about the staff -- It is not clear why the servers at DG have difficulty making eye contact and smiling. Perhaps they have been scared by a Wisconsin badger or are trying to embody the snow and ice of a north country winter. Go for the ice cream and forget about the service.

• Visited July 2012