“Friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere”
Review of Royal Restaurant

Royal Restaurant
Ranked #86 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I stopped in at the Royal Restaurant for dinner while on a business trip. The relaxed atmosphere was welcome after a busy day, and the staff was attentive and friendly. The Buffalo chicken salad was plentiful, but not overwhelming. It is served with Ranch dressing, but I requested bleu cheese to make it more "authentic"-- you just need bleu cheese dressing with Buffalo chicken!

For dessert I had a slice of key lime pie, which had a nice flavor and was served with a small dollop of whipped cream.

The food prices were reasonable, and the restaurant offers free WiFi to guests.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

While known for their Sunday brunch, I'm a big fan of their regular breakfast, particularly the dish called "The Royal". Eggs, bacon, potatoes, fruit and pancakes. It's an excessive amount of delish food for a great price. You really can't go wrong with breakfast at The Royal!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

For the 2-1/2 years I've lived in Alexandria I've been coming back to the Royal again and again as my "go-to" restaurant for a simple meal, nothing fancy. Just blocks from my home, it's a nice place to pop in for a good burger and fries, a late meal on the way home from work (the roasted chicken and ribeye steak are my favorites), or a Saturday morning breakfast. Depending on who you get as a server, you'll either get great service, or so-so service. They seem to be in transition to something better, with a real effort to step up the service, which I appreciate, but there are still a couple servers that need some work (they just don't "get it," and leave you to your own devices to get up and refill your own coffee, or hunt them down for silverware, the check, etc.)

The atmosphere is dated, but comfortable and quaint....again, nothing fancy, but easy access with plenty of parking, and lots of big windows to people-watch on the streets of Old Town is always entertaining. Their weekend breakfast buffet is great! They always have the Alexandria Times or Old Town Crier in the lobby for something to read over your meal, which I also appreciate.

Try their desserts -- they're also really delicious, even though they buy them elsewhere. They have a chocolate cake that is divine.

Definitely not a date night place, rather a comfortable anytime meal establishment, with a generous plate of food that won't disappoint.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Made to order omelettes and waffles. Lots of choices for meats and sides. Come early as a line forms and the place is not very big. Good coffee and great service. Charming spot.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We had a late breakfast here with our daughter, son and 20 month old grandson on St. Patty's Day. Our son and daughter live in the area and visit here pretty often, so it came with good recommendations. Although busy we were seated quickly and our server was very attentive to our grandson. The buffet is excellent with many varieties of meats and a great omelet bar where fresh pancakes and waffles are made to order. On top of all that the cost was very reasonable. The seating is a bit tight but we found everyone very friendly. Definitely a great experience.