“Great prices, salad bar, and a relaxed place near Old Town Alexandria”
Review of Royal Restaurant

Royal Restaurant
Ranked #77 of 763 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Anacortes, Washington
“Great prices, salad bar, and a relaxed place near Old Town Alexandria”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is one of those places that you go when you do not want anything special special, but want good food at a reasonable price.

The buffet breakfast here on Saturdays and Sundays is always a sellout. You will see the same people weekend after weekend. In the evenings you will see the same people also.

The Royal is family owned and operated.

The food is good. I do not have a particular special. Usually, I just have breakfast, or a burger. I especially like the salad bar in the evenings.

So if you are in Alexandria, and want a good coffee shop with reasonable prices, and a friendly staff, visit Royal Restaurant.

Visited September 2012

Alexandria, VA
“A country diner, in the middle of Old Town”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This place might just as well be called "The Loyal" . . .

I live in Alexandria--where friends will sometimes drive in, to meet for lunch. Usually, I bring them here: There's free parking, less traffic than closer to the center of town, and something on the menu for almost anybody (incuding vegetarians), at a reasonable price. It's quiet and relaxed enough to sit and talk. Often, as well, we come with our family for dinner when things run late and we're too tired to cook. And that's how we see this place--as an extension of home (with ordinary home cooking). This is probably the only restaurant where we don't think of it as "eating out"--and so we judge it differently.

It's clean and pleasant. Service is consistently prompt and friendly--provided by a stable wait staff. Sandwiches, entrees, side vegetables, salad bar. Along with things that started disappearing from most menus after the 1950s (e.g., calves' liver with brown gravy and onions, or open-faced turkey breast sandwiches, smothered in more gravy. I swoon.). This is not high cuisine--although the other day, our whole table swore that, yes, these WERE the best French fries we'd ever had! (It's also possible to eat as healthy as you choose.)

This is not a "destination" restaurant, or something you'd go out of your way for. This is where you go when you're already here--and would appreciate someone else's making supper and cleaning up after. While you sit in a quiet, comfortable place with family, friends--or just by yourself. (Except for buffet breakfast on the weekends--madhouse! Not for the faint-of-heart.)

Much affection for this place . . . long may they reign.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank SophieAlexandria_VA
Sonoran Desert
“Thank you for not sending me to bed hungry!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I ended up at Royal Restaurant quite by error, and at the end of a long, hot day of sightseeing. I was made to feel welcome & was brought a glass of ice water, with a quick refill. I ordered a cold beer & a bleu cheese & bacon burger - both were delicious. Never felt rushed,even tho I was the last customer in. Impressed, I showed up the next night, at almost the same time (Old Town was too crowded & better suited for couples). Armando could not have been more pleasant and didn't gag when I ordered the beef liver (yes, I've had servers do that)! Two large slices, covered with onions,& served with a mound of mashed potatoes with gravy I would've drank thru a straw. He encouraged me to take my time; there was a party going on in the next room so no rush. I needed it to finish all that food! And to think, I almost went to bed hungry, 2 days in a row. I went back for breakfast before heading to the airport, ordering French toast, eggs, home fries, & Virginia ham. Great start to a long day of traveling!
What a delight to find good food, reasonable prices, & wonderful service, slightly off the beaten path.

Austin, Texas
“Overrated, but fine”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I went to the Royal Restaurant this morning for breakfast. We didn't know when going that Sunday only has a breakfast buffet. The selection was fine, but the food wasn't anything to write home about. Undercooked bacon, bisquick pancakes, etc - it just wasn't special enough for me to bother going out of my way. If I was walking by and hungry, I'm sure I'd go again, but I wouldn't drive the 10 miles that we did.

1 Thank PlatinumStrider
Alexandria, VA
“An Alexandria Institution”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Royal has been here for so long that it has become an institution. A neighborhood diner that has been the center of political, social and economic conversation for so many years simply will not go away. The retrofit a couple of years ago spruced it up but did not take away from the ambience of Alexandrians deeply involved in arguments about the shape of their city. Even the presence of tourists and business executives from the North End has not diminished its importance to key Alexandrians meeting for breakfast. Dinner and lunch pales in comparison to breakfast with its full menu of traditional delights along with the southern pecialities of grits, gravy and biscuits and watermelon (a slice on every plate). Good home cooking with a seasoned staff with coffee pot in hand makes the Royal the place for breakfast. Saturday and Sunday brunch is a challenge with long lines, hungry tourists and busy families. Stick with the weekday event and you will find yourself right at home with a very good breakfast, plenty of coffee and the Washington Post. Reasonable prices. Eavesdropping on the passionate discussions among locals is discouraged.

1 Thank jeffl499