“Waste of Time, Waste of Money!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Serenity Day Spa - Old Town
Reviewed February 20, 2010

My fiance and I got a couples massage here, and it was by far the worst experience either of us have had at a spa. We made sure to call beforehand to make sure that they were offering the type of massage we wanted, but what we actually received at the spa was quite a different story. The massage wasn't even in the same room to start with. Instead, they had two separate rooms that barely opened half way making it so that we couldn't even see each other. Furthermore, we paid extra for deep tissue massages and what we got was weak, low-quality massages from clearly untrained massage therapists. We complained about the experience to the management but our concerns were not taken seriously. Bottom line: waste of money and waste of time. Take my word for it, find another location if you're looking for a decent massage.

3  Thank 7xc005f
There are newer reviews for Serenity Day Spa - Old Town

Reviewed March 22, 2009

Don’t waste your money at Serenity Day Spa! I had the worst experience at Serenity day spa Old TOWN. Last week I had an appointment there to use a gift card my husband got me for my birthday. Due to bad weather and an accident I was 10 minutes late (I was coming from Fairfax). When I got there I told by the women at the front desk that I was late and to wait. When she finally got to me she informed me because I was late I could not get my full facial (which I did not understand since I had booked a massage, then a facial which I was sure of since the women who I scheduled the appointment with suggested I get the massage done first). The woman insisted that I misunderstood and my facial was scheduled first. No one walked me to the serenity room so I changed and looked for the towels I usually put on when you get a facial, but could not find them. I asked someone for help and she seemed annoyed and just said put on a robe we don’t use the towels anymore! I put on my robe walked over to the tranquility room expecting to meet the Esthetician waiting anxiously for me (since she was so upset I was late)…..but she was not there (and I waited 5 minutes). Finally I asked the receptionist what was going on and she said that now that 25 minutes had passed I could only get an express facial. I claimed I should get the service I was paying for but she would not budge and was very nasty. At this point I just wanted to talk to a manger and use my gift card at another serenity location. She said the manager was not in and I would need to speak to her the following day. While, when I spoke to the manager the next day she told me that because there is a 24 hour cancelation fee they CASHED IN MY GIFTCARD (including a tip that was paid for before I got the services). When I explained to her how rude her staff was and how I had been a customer at Serenity for the past 7 years she just claimed “that is a shame” but our policy is if you are late and do not cancel within 24 hours we charge you. Right now we are trying to dispute the charges but I would never go there again and advise you not to do the same. I can't believe they would treat customers this way with so many other spas in the area. I was more stressed when I left the spa then when I first arrived and wasted 3 hours of my Sunday afternoon. I hope this review saves someone else from wasting their money and time at this establishment.

13  Thank gofar68
Reviewed May 12, 2007

I went for my first-ever "complete" spa experience in May 2007 at Serenity Day Spa in Alexandria VA. I had been eagerly anticipating a relaxing, soothing day. WHAT AN ABSOLUTE DISAPPOINTMENT! I was given the spa package as a gift, to include massage, facial, manicure and pedicure. When I walked in, the unsmiling, abrupt young woman at the desk simply asked my name and walked me back to the dressing room. No welcome, no information about what to expect, nothing. She just said, here's the dressing room, there are lockers in there, put on a robe. The dressing room was apx. 10 feet by 8 feet wide and when I walked in, there were FIVE women in that small space, in various stages trying to dress, undress, etc. I had to stand to the side and wait until a few of them left. In the meantime, I noticed there were many dirty water glasses cluttering up the ONE sink they had in the whole area - which was also to be used for the adjoining bathroom. When I came out, I was introduced to the masseuse and she was friendly, but had me immediately go into the massage room. No instructions on what to do or what to expect - and the massage table was unlike one I had ever seen before, so I had to go back out in the hallway and ask her how she wanted me to lie on it. That was embarassment number one. Massage overall was fine. But as soon as the time was up, she practically ran out out of the room and on to the next appointment. No real "hope you enjoyed it," type of pleasantries, nothing. I was handed a glass of water and told to go into the "relaxation room" I no sooner walked in then I had my facial technician come in and get me. I didn't even have enough time to take a sip of water, let alone sit down! So in I went for the facial. It was very nice, and was the only good part of the overall bad experience at Serenity. After facial, I went back into the "relaxing room" where I couldn't relax at all, because I was expecting someone to come and get me in a minute or two like they did before. To make it even more uncomfortable, there is a fully-dressed man in the room, waiting for some sort of appointment (manicure, I think.) And here were three or four of us women in simple white cotton robes trying to keep them closed because this man is in the room with us. The only thing they had in there as refreshments were ice water and hot water with different kinds of tea bags. Not much to sustain you if you are there for several hours. Don't know why they couldn't at least put out some fruit or something. Next thing I know, I am being sent in for my manicure and pedicure. I am still oily from the massage and still in my robe. Had someone asked me, I would have liked to have taken a shower and dressed before getting the manicure and pedicure, but no one asked and I wasn't given that option. (I know enough to know you don't want to mess up your nails getting dressed) The woman who did my 'cures was the worst I've ever had in my life. She was very rough and I actually had to pull my foot back twice because she was digging into the cuticles so hard. I have never had to do that before in all the pedicures I've had. The pedicure chair had a massage function, but it didn't work right and made a loud grinding sound. The technician rushed through the manicure and pedicure, and there was no drying machine for nails, not even a can of quick-dry spray. So out you go back into the dressing room with wet nails. I ruined five nails just trying to get dressed! So there I am ... greasy from the massage, messed up nails and trying to get dressed. By this time, there are NO PAPER TOWELS at all at the sink but still plenty of dirty glasses. I was completely fed up. I got to the front desk to check out, and the same charming girl was there and tried to charge me for all the services. I told her I had given her my gift card when I came in, and she mumbled, "Oh yeah ... OK, then, you're all done." What an absolutely horrible experience altogether! I will never ever go back to Serenity nor will I ever recommend it to anyone. You will come away more aggravated than serene! The overall memory will be feeling like I was nothing but another body in a long day's assembly line. Skip Serenity ... NOW!

10  Thank TwoTravelersToG... A