“A nice place to have lunch”
Review of La Tasca

La Tasca
Reserve with OpenTable
La Tasca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 769 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Transit: King Street Metro (Yellow & Blue Lines) Also, take advantage of the King Street Trolley, a free trolley from the King Street metro stop all the way to the harbor. We are located between Washington Street and St Asaph Street.
Description: La Tasca is a careful blend of everything about Spain—warm décor, authentic cuisine and friendly hospitality.With a combination of many tapas dishes, paellas, sangria blends and Spanish wines and beers, La Tasca has something for everyone.We strive to keep the Spanish culture and passion alive in our restaurants
Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stopped in for lunch and got a great mix of tapas. The Sangria was good too.You can get a good selection of types of tapas.

Reviewed January 6, 2011

I've traveled and eaten well in Spain and don't expect every restaurant to be 100% authentic, but there is nothing in this restaurant that even comes close to what Spanish flavors are supposed to taste like! Some of it looks the same, but it's almost as if they threw out the saffron and the pimenton... the good, Spanish Olive oil! Even the bread and olives tasted worse than most supermarket varieties... not even close to what any self-respecting Spanish restaurant would server it's customers! This was the biggest waste of money and time that I can remeber having in any restaurant. With Jaleo's and other emerging Spanish restaurants in D.C. don't bother with this place. It makes me angry that I even ate here!

Reviewed September 21, 2010

Having just moved to Alexandria, I'm eating at a different restaurant every night so that when friends come to visit I can take them to the best places. I'm 15 restaurants in, and La Tasca is the worst so far. In fact it's so poor that it's the first I've taken the time to review.

On arrival no-one took our drink order for about 15 minutes. When we were served the waiter was friendly. We had the Seafood Sampler, for two people. There were about 8 or 9 small dishes as follows:

Mushrooms: A portobello mushroom cooked in oil and chopped up. That's it - no seasoning. But at least it was warm.
Calmari: Overcooked and room temperature. Not crispy. Like eating rubber bands.
Shrimp: Two courses of this - I could tell no difference between them. Shrimp in garlic oil, small tough and and badly overcooked.
Paella: Had been microwaved - the peas has that shrivelled look but even so it was served at room temperature. Instantly forgettable.
Fried onion straws: Cold and bland, no seasoning.
Scallops: It was actually one scallop sliced into 3 thin pieces. Overcooked and chewy again, but the wine sauce was good.

There was something else but clearly it wasn't memorable. Basically everything was overcooked, and was served either cold or at room temperature. I've had tapas at about 5 restaurants and this was by far the worst. I certainly won't be going again.

BTW, the best place I've eaten so far in Alexandria is Le Refuge.

1  Thank Murgen
Reviewed August 29, 2010

I have been here several times when staying in Alexandria. I like the food, drink and atmosphere here.

On my last trip, however, there was a problem. My girlfriend noticed a screw in her food! Thank God she saw it or it would have broken some teeth. I reported it to the waitress and she spoke to management who gave us the food item with the screw in it for free and also discounted the bill 20%. I was disappointed with this reaction. The waitress seemed concerned, but the management did not and for something of this nature, the entire bill should have been paid for on the house. Letting a screw from cookware fall into food that is consumed by customers is unsat!

This lack of attention to detail and lack of concern by management is what caused me to give the overall poor rating. Who knows what else is being missed.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

The food here is excellent and the wait staff is very knowledgeable about the MANY variations of food they have, it's contents and how they are prepared.
I do not know how they prepared their Sangria yet while it was very good it did not taste at all like the Sangria I have had each time I have been to Spain.
The restaurant is very clean and we were seated right away.