“One of our favorite spots in Old Town!”
Review of La Tasca

La Tasca
Reserve with OpenTable
La Tasca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 765 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Transit: King Street Metro (Yellow & Blue Lines) Also, take advantage of the King Street Trolley, a free trolley from the King Street metro stop all the way to the harbor. We are located between Washington Street and St Asaph Street.
Description: La Tasca is a careful blend of everything about Spain—warm décor, authentic cuisine and friendly hospitality.With a combination of many tapas dishes, paellas, sangria blends and Spanish wines and beers, La Tasca has something for everyone.We strive to keep the Spanish culture and passion alive in our restaurants
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Whenever we are in Old Town we come to La Tasca......they always have great sangria and an even better Spanish wine list. They're happy hour is really good too, I think bottles of wine are much cheaper. We always get tapas, never a full meal, and it's always wonderful. Not as authentic as we had in Spain, naturally, but pretty good! We've caught some live music there on weekends that I remember being pretty good with a lively crowd and the bartenders are always super friendly also.

There are newer reviews for La Tasca

Reviewed August 29, 2011

This is a great place for a family who is visiting Alexandria. It was my daughter and her love for the steak that reminded me to write a review for this place! Very comfortable, colorful, fun place to enjoy something a little different. I have had better Tapas elsewhere (I have a hometown favorite) but the overall experience, the great staff, and just how much my 11 year liked it is why this gets high marks from us. This will be the one we will return to on our next trip.

Reviewed August 25, 2011

My friends and I almost didn’t go to this restaurant because the reviews I read (on Yelp as well as Trip Advisor) were quite divided – some were really enthusiastic and some very lukewarm. But in the end we still went because neither of my friends have had tapas ever(!) so wanted to try something new. I made the reservation for lunch online and for some reason was only able to get one for 11:30 am (I would have preferred 12 noon), even though when we arrived (it was a Thursday during the Restaurant Week) the three of us were the first and only people in the restaurant for almost 45 minutes before anyone else showed up. Still during the whole time, I would say that the restaurant was hardly one-quarter full. Not that I had a problem with that as I don’t like overly crowded and noisy restaurants. We took one of the two tables by the window. The restaurant is rectangular shaped with a long bar and bar tables on one side and restaurant on the other, with a wall in between. The interior is darkish, since there are only windows on the narrow end of the long room and the décor is a lot of dark wood paneling and dim lighting. The upside is that the tables are adequately spaced so you won’t feel elbow to elbow with other diners even when it’s more crowded. We ordered off the Restaurant week menu, which in fact is exactly the same as the normal lunch special menu except the former also applies to dinner ($20.11 per person for lunch, 26 selections – no dessert - and $35.11 for dinner with the additional 4 dessert selections). I felt that they should have included at least one or two dessert selections for lunch even if they have to reduce a couple of non dessert selections. In any case, we ordered the spinach salad with dates, tomatoes, fried eggplant, mussels, paella with chicken and shrimp, shrimp sautéed in garlic oil, grilled asparagus, Spanish omelet, bacon wrapped dates, bacon wrapped pork, wild mushroom, and grilled salmon and basically, they were all really well prepared and delicious. The fried eggplant came first and almost right away, and the rest were served all together not long after. The eggplant was truly a winner, the slices were delicately thin, the batter so crispy and non greasy and the portion was very generous (the other portions were not quite as large). I wasn’t too excited by the accompanying cheese dip however – would have been quite happy with ketchup or nothing at all frankly – but that was just due to individual preference, not a negative comment on the dip itself. If I go there again, I would definitely order all the items all over again, except maybe drop the bacon/pork, and the potato omelet (calling it an omelet is misleading, it’s like a potato kugel). Overall I would say that we had a really good first visit to this restaurant and will go back again – more often if they would add some dessert to the lunch menu!

Reviewed August 21, 2011

It was Restaurant Week! In Old Town Alexandria and we were hungry, so we went looking for a decent place for lunch. Heard good things about Le Refuge French restaurant, but by the time we found it, it was closed, so we ended up at La Tasca Spanish Tapas Restaurant and Bar instead.

They had a good deal of unlimited tapas for $20.11 per person up to 4:00 pm (we got there about 3:30 so we lucked out). The same thing would have cost $35.11 for dinner.

There are 26 different items listed on the unlimited tampas menu. The three of us ordered 3 – 5 items per person. Imagine our surprise as they started bringing plates to the table, and kept bringing plates to the table – there must have been 20 different servings by the time everything had been brought out.

We had Ensalada Espinacas (spinach salad), Pan de Ajo con Quesco (garlic bread with mozzarella cheese), Berenjenas Fritas (fried eggplant), Calamares a la Andaluza (fried calamari), Mejillones (mussels sautéed in vegetable marinara) – my personal favorite, Paella Valenciana (chicken, calamari and shrimp), Gambas al Ajillo (shrimp sautéed in garlic and olive oil), Brocheta de Pollo (skewers of grilled chicken), Esparragos (grilled asparagus) – and I thought I hated asparagus – Yum!, Empanadas de Carne (beef and cheese stuffed pastry shells), Espinacas Salteadas (sautéed spinach), Buey al Jerez (grilled bef steak in sherry-mushroom sauce with potatoes), Setas al Ajillo (wild mushrooms sautéed in garlic and olive oil), Salmon a la Plancha (grilled salmon with sautéed spinach) – and there was more!

Everything was delicious, the atmosphere was laid back and relaxed, and the wait staff kept the beverages flowing and told us to stay as long as we liked. It doesn’t get much better than La Tasca and their tasty tapas. It was our first visit to La Tasca, but it won’t be our last – great restaurant with delicious tapas.

1  Thank shinbun
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Went for happy hour on July 17, 2011. We actually walked into the wrong Tapas restaurant but glad we did. Tapas offered during happy hour were good and inexpensive ($3.00). Happy hour drink menu Is somewhat limited but they do offer other drinks on regular menu. Except for bartender, staff could be a bit more friendlier & more attentive to the needs of the customer.