Open today: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Review Highlights
Lots of trails to Run or Bike

A conveniently located urban park in Alexandria, VA offers lots of shady, streamside trails for... read more

Reviewed July 10, 2018
Hannah P
Alexandria, Virginia
via mobile
A place to play and cool off

We visit the Alexandria/DC area multiple times a year, and wanted something different to checkout... read more

Reviewed July 15, 2017
Scottfamilytravelers
via mobile

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 22, 2012

The wave pool was nice, but the place was truly worn down.

The refreshment stand offered only unhealthy options. The lifeguard staff seems to be of a different quality than the food-service staff, who truly didn't seem to care about the icky sticky floor and the long line.

They had a huge crowd, so some customers are definitely happy. The season pass is a good deal if you live close by. It is cheaper than a pool membership.

Date of experience: August 2011
1  Thank swell30
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Running right next to the Capital Beltway Interstate 495 you can't hear yourself think, but it also has Great Waves swim park there in summer. That is a good time for the kids.

Reviewed November 15, 2011

The park itself is small, but easily accessible and not very crowded most days. The oats are well maintained and lead to parks for children. It is pleasant to walk along the Cameron Run waterway between you and the 495 expressway, it is a bit of nature where you wouldn't expect it! Easy for exercise when staying at any number of the long stay hotels nearby, Holiday Inn, Springhill Suites, Homestead Suites and Marriott Resident Inn.

Date of experience: November 2011
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Went recently with my son. We had an amazing time. The wave pool is a lot of fun. The kids fun playhouse where they have slides and climbing spaces (not sure what they officially call it) was also enjoyed for several hours. Big slides also fun but we were too scared to try the two really steep slides that looked like they were awesome fun for teenagers. The pools were all clean. Food for sale was fine -- ice cream, french fries, etc. the usual stuff. The only thing that was not so great was the main bathroom -- a bit yucko but this is a public pool and the bathroom was on par with the other public pools around. Not sure why but they're damp with wet floors and smell a bit.

Overall experience was great. Also played mini golf.

Date of experience: August 2011
1  Thank Andrews_Mommy
Reviewed July 26, 2011

The reason I gave this park 3 stars is becuase my daughter did enjoy herself and as others say, this is run by Northern VA, not a private business. We went this past Saturday, one of the hottest days of the summer. The place was extremely crowded and pools were very very dirty there was stuff floating everywhere and I even stepped on something, not sure what it was. I'm guessing because of the heat and the amount of people the water in all pools was luke warm. I'm not sure if this is how it is all of the time, but the type of people there...I don't want to offend anyone but just to describe, there was trash everywhere (a dirty diaper left on the side of the wave pool!), rude pushy people who butt in front of you, disorderly children who's parents just laughed (one group of kids were literally fighting in the pool hitting each other, I had to move my daugher several times to get out of their way in fear of being hit by one). The food is a bit overpriced, but its too be expected and its not even near the prices of six flags or other parks. But beware, as I said, rude adults are ready to jump in front of you in line so you have to be ready! The place is so *** when we were leaving two grown women almost literally fought each other in the parking lot like it was a night club, except there were multiple children around! They were cursing and screaming at each other wanting either one to throw the first punch, yes while holding the hands of very young children. There are really nice water slides but my daughter and I only rode 3 times, the lines were not that long but moved extremely slow and it was just too hot to stand in line, especially as I said, groups of young kids would come and just butt in front of us.

I guess basically if you are a local, and wanting to get out of the heat, it may be a nice place to spend a few hours and take a dip in the pool. but we traveled an hour an a half away and intended to stay all day. I was ready to leave within a few hours. Kids don't care about cleanliness and pushy people so they will have a blast but adults beware.

Date of experience: July 2011