“Great location in Old Town Alexandria”
Review of Mai Thai

Mai Thai
Ranked #78 of 822 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We were delighted to be able to get an outside table. Atmosphere was very nice. The food was good Thai fare, but nothing special. I had the fried rice which had whole shrimp and large pieces of meat, which was a nice surprise. My daughter's vegetarian dish was too spicy for her to enjoy. The third member of our party ordered her usual-the clay pot.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

Not great but serviceable. Good for a quick bite when one is in the mood for Thai but not fancy.

Food was slightly above average. Service bordered on indifferent. Nothing special, but sometimes that's what one is seeking.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Hadn't eaten here for awhile but we decided to try it again.
Spring rolls were cold. Soup was lukewarm.
Shrimp in the Shrimp Clay Pot reeked of iodine.

I think this restaurant on lower King Street attracts tourists, but the locals know better.
Nice service and friendly staff, but the food is just meh.

1  Thank GeorgiaPear16
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Took my girlfriend there because it was one of her favorites when she lived here a few years ago. When we arrived, I could see why. Walk in the door and it was a very nice atmosphere. Couldn't get enough of the smell...SOOO good. Service was very attentive, friendly and helpful in making suggestions for me: the newbie to this establishment.

When we got our food, it was not what I expected. I love Thai food and so does she, but both dishes were lacking. She had the grilled duck curry and it still had several small, but unappetizing feather roots in it. I had the Bangkok Noodle special and something in it just didn't sit right with me. Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but I did not feel well half way through the meal and didn't finish it. We had a grilled chicken skewer appetizer and THAT was amazing. Unfortunately, I don't think it's enough to bring me back. A smidge pricy too, but what ISN'T in Old Town?

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We have been to many Thai restaurants and this one was OK. The atmosphere of the restaurant is great and I would agree that this is a good restaurant for a date, but the service was awful (this was an evening meal). The food took a long time to come to the table and the waitress did not come back to apologise or tell us that the food was on its way. The food itself was average and the vegetables we ordered were too salty. The waitress did not come back to check on us and the floors were sticky. In summary: Good ambience, average food, poor service.