“Lotta History and Connections” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Woodlawn & Pope-Leighey House

Woodlawn & Pope-Leighey House
Ranked #13 of 80 things to do in Alexandria
More attraction details
Owner description: Two houses on the property: 1. Woodlawn is a house that was built on George Washington's property for his step-granddaughter Nelly and her husband Lawrence. Starting off as 2,000 acre plantation built in 1800, the house went through a number of interesting owners before becoming the first site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. 2. Frank Lloyd Wright is practically a household name these days, but this small Usonian house was a unique design of his. Originally built in 1940 in Falls Church, VA; this house is a true example of preservation-in-action!
803 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 439 helpful votes
“Lotta History and Connections”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Note: I wrote a separate review of the Pope-Leighey House. This was my second or third visit to this lovely old home (visited it as a child with my parents). It seems to have gotten smaller but maybe I just grew up. The fascination with this home comes with the connection to George Washington and the turmoil that took place there during the Revolutionary War. The house is well maintained and the guides are very friendly. They have numerous piece of Washington's from the division of his estate, which just adds to the charm of this place. The grounds are lovely (though my most recent visit was in December thus not much to see) and you have the added bonus of the Pope-Leighey House being on the grounds. Go and see it and take a step back in time.

Visited December 2012

803 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 439 helpful votes
“Cabin the Woods”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I lucked out by getting to this house right before it closed for the season, plus I had the house all to myself, which was extra nice. It is a quaint, closet size home, moved to its current location to save it from distraction. Built in the traditional Usonian style which FLW is known for. It is hard to imagine someone living in the small little space, but all the same I would have loved to have tried it out. They have some of the original furniture on display, but most of it is in storage to protect it from damage. Don't worry though they have replicas in place so you get the true experience. One of their guides is a woodworker that makes exact copies of Frank Lloyd Wright pieces. My guide was more than willing to answer all my questions even general FLW ones. It is on the grounds of Woodlawn Plantation and I recommend that you opted for the combo ticket to see both homes. It is nice to see the contrast between Colonial Manor and Innovative Modernism before it was modern..... Enjoy!!!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank jehenson81
Alexandria, Virginia
“Beatiful house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Home of G. Washington's nephew and step-daughter. Well furnished and maintained, welcoming. Occasional afternoon teas. Springtime exhibit of handiwork is a real treat.

Visited November 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Fascinating (Pope-Leighey House)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was a little skeptical about my visit to the house since it looks rather unassuming from the outside, but I don't think I've ever been on a more interesting 30 minute tour in such a small place. Our tour guide was fantastic and really knew her stuff inside and out. We barely got there for the last tour of the day and our guide was nice enough to stay around for a few minutes at the end to answer more questions when I'm sure she was probably ready to go home. The house was just a fascinating little view into how people strived to live during the mid 20th century. Even though I'm a fairly quick sightseer, if you're planning to do both Mount Vernon and this house in one day, I would suggest arriving around opening time of one of the two. Definitely worth the visit.

Visited September 2012
Manassas, Virginia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Peaceful and Historical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've been coming to this location for as long as I've lived in the area (10-15 years?) I like to come throughout the week when it's less crowded and you can walk the grounds. I've always enjoyed the gardens at the plantation and there is something so very comforting to me whenever I tour the Pope-Leighey House. Highly recommended.

Visited March 2012