New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“History of Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Lyceum is a great place to see many photos of what Alexandria looked like back in the old days. I love to compare the pictures with what it looks like today. This is a must stop before you leave the city.

Visited May 2013

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Local History Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Good display on Alexandria during the Civil War that brings the history to life. Good activity sheet for kids too.

Visited February 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Beautiful building, average museum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The building itself is so impressive, and I was eager to visit it, but have to say the museum itself isn't so very impressive. Parts of it were closed when we were there, and I really wouldn't consider returning.

Visited September 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
90 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Worth the Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have been to Alexandria many times but had never been into the Lyceum until this visit and it is a small gem. It has some very intersting history to share.

Visited January 2013
York, Pennsylvania
7 attraction reviews
“Poe in Alexandria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Ten years ago I went to see David Keltz in the Hershey Hotel. It was a haunting and spectacular day as we snacked on finger foods and Hershey's gourmet versions of their wonderful treats. Every table was set up with a raven on a branch and the dim lighting and ambiance played it's own part in his stunning rendition of the Raven!! When I saw that Poe would be portrayed in the Lyceum in Alexandria for only $15.00 I just had to attend. The town of Alexandria alone captivated me, and the Lyceum was filled with war memorabilia eye candy that made this visit worth the commute. I will be back to Alexandria without a doubt, "old town" fascinated me, the shops, the art ,decor was intoxicating!!! I had an amazing night, I would highly recommend.

Visited November 2012