“a fine lunch!”
Review of River Bend Bistro

River Bend Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
River Bend Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #150 of 759 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“a fine lunch!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was my first time here, and I can't wait to go back! The service was great, and the food was wonderful, so much more than I expected for a local restaurant! I had poached salmon on white beans in a butter sauce with herbs. It was fantastic! The atmosphere is warm and charming, brick walls, wood furniture (gives warmth) and modern exposed NY loft look ceiling, and while a small detail I love it when you can see they even pay attention to details right down to the napkin -- a nice country style kitchen linen. More than anything though, I was impressed with the food. Can;t wait to try something else for lunch or dinner.

• Visited December 2013

Alexandria
“Not accommodating for large groups or creative when trying to buy wine for someone.”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Two disappointing encounters.
Tried to buy a bottle of wine for friends going to River Bend that evening. The manager would not even take down a name to try to accommodate our request.
Second encounter. Seven friends celebrating a birthday. Manager would not consider putting tables together to accommodate us even though there were four empty four-tops & one empty two-top. The owner explained it was because of his concern for splitting the waiters' earnings????

Visited November 2013
4 Thank Brynann
Alexandria, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“River Bend Bistro, Hollin Hall”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I’ve been to the River Bend Bistro in Hollin Hall four times in the past two weeks. I am so happy to have such a nice restaurant in our locality. The food has always been excellent and the only hiccup was in the service with a new waiter one time who worked extremely hard to please us….it will just take time.
Among my favorites is the Potato & Leek soup, Pate, Duck Confit, Rockfish and the creamy Cotswald Mac & Cheese !
I think we are so fortunate to finally have a quality establishment that can deliver the goods….THANKS FOR COMING TO HOLLIN HALL RIVER BEND BISTRO !!!

1 Thank alexmdd610
Gyor, Hungary
“Don't take your friends”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Don't take your friends if you expect to have a conversation. River Bend looks very trendy but every surface in the dining room bounces and amplifies sound. Once the room with an open bar is half full, one must shout to be heard. So, go and enjoy a very interesting menu of nicely presented food without expecting to chat with your companions. The grilled flat breads are tasty, and big enough to split as appetizers. The crab flan is especially good. They offer a thoughtful wine list. Service is awkward; servers are not well trained and do not pay attention to diners.

1 Thank hapsburgqueen
Washington DC
“After waiting almost two years what a huge letdown”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Once again I wonder if the reviewers and I ate at the same restaurant. We had been looking forward to this restaurant opening for more than a year - what a disappointment and waste of space. Atmosphere is cheap for lack of a better word. Nice exposed brick wall and small but nice bar space but it truly ends there. Server could not answer the simplest question ... is there any shellfish cooked hereI? He just didn't get it. I'm allergic and when I get this response have to be very careful. So I ordered the warm spinach salad with dressing on the side. Turns out they warm the cheese in olive oil (which I avoid) and than pour it over the salad. I could have had vinegar on the side and do without the cheese ... or?? Cancel that idea. I ordered potato leek soup. I love potato leek soup - it's simple, filling and delicious. What I got was gray/green glop reminiscent of wallpaper paste and served tepid. I was done after a few spoonfuls - it was foul and I am being kind here as were the people at the table next to me who ordered it too. Did the waiter notice that it wasn't eaten but that he was asked to remove it? No...he just took it away while my lunch mate proceeded to eat. Thankfully she said her food was "tasty" not exceptional but tasty. A flaky salmon on a bed of warm lentils. I've never been anywhere that did not even offer bread for purchase when they offer entrees and soup and salad but River Bend does not. Soup is served alone and looks forlorn. That in itself should be a warning. I won't go back you can bet on that and If I could give River Bend less than one star, I would. A waste of space and a waste of my time. I still had to have lunch when I got home.

4 Thank FormerChicagoGal