“fun neighborhood bar!”
Review of Bilbo Baggins

Bilbo Baggins
Reserve with OpenTable
Bilbo Baggins is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 769 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Fairfax & Lee Streets
Transit: The Dash bus has 2 stops on Fairfax Street near the intersection of Queen St. The restaurant is located on Queen St. between Fairfax and Lee Streets. There are 2 metro stops in Alexandria that will get you within 15-17 blocks of the restaurant. The metro stops are King St. or Braddock Road. From there its just a quick cab ride or nice walk.
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Love this place! Try the Eggenberg on draft....and the burgers are the best and served on an English Muffin.... yum! Sometimes it's hard to find a seat at the bar...but worth a try....we just went two days ago

Reviewed May 11, 2012

The headlines says it all - my martini tasted like a tall glass of vermouth - my dish was not edible and the waitress seemed disinterested in serving. If you're eating there and reading this review -- it's too bad you didn't check online reviews BEFORE you sat down. If you're reading this and trying to make up your mind where to eat -- it's still not too late!!

3  Thank Joseph M
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Nice menu and drink selection but the fish entrees we had on this visit were just OK. Not bad but not something that we would come back for however, we will try this restaurant again and order something different.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

This restaurant has the best, longest, most interesting beer list that I've seen in the DC/Northern Virginia area. It is worth a trip for the beer alone. My dining companion has enjoyed a smoked beer on our visits, while I've ventured to others -- a scottish ale, an abbey ale, and a hard ginger ale.

The food is fine. What we've had hasn't been spectacular, but has been completely edible at an average-for-the-area price. The service we've received has been fine on multiple visits.

Go for the beer. If you don't love beer, you probably won't love this place either. If you love beer, the beer list will make you happy.

Reviewed April 10, 2012

The title of this review is not hyperbole - it is fact. My husband and I went to Bilbo Baggins for an early dinner. Even though there were only about 6 diners besides us, the available seating was horrible - only those god-awful super high chairs and tables - all hard wood, no cushions. They may be great for "20 somethings" but not for us. When we spotted a "regular height" table and chairs in the bar area, which was only 10 feet from the dining area, our waitress refused to seat us there. We TRIED to sit in the tall chairs, until we found we just couldn't - so my husband asked another server if we could move to the table in the bar, and he said we could. Our female server had the personality of a sloth - and was just about as quick with her serving. We ordered two "Bilbo's Burgers" on the assumption that it is pretty tough to ruin a burger. . . they found a way. We asked when ordering if they could substitute a real hamburger bun instead of an "English muffin" which is how these burgers are served, but told no. We also ordered two cokes - which appeared at our table as WARM cans of Coke and two cups of ice. No kidding. When our burgers arrived, they were accompanied with cold, greasy, "not fit for human consumption" fries. The burger was poorly cooked - almost burnt on the outside but VERY bloody inside (we ordered them "medium") and had "mystery gristle chunks" throughout the patty - which was VERY strange! I took two small bites of my burger and ate NO fries - and when the waitress came by to ask if we needed anything else, I said, "No - I'm DONE." She looked down and saw I had eaten NOTHING. Now, a good waitress and a reputable restaurant would have said something like, "I can see you did not like your meal, may we bring you something else. . . ? But she said nothing and just took my plate away. My husband tried to eat his burger patty, but even he couldn't eat the fries. The waitress again said nothing as she picked up his plate. This was the only time in my adult life I have not left a tip. Usually I can find SOMETHING good about a restaurant - food, atmosphere, service. . .but all were horrible in this case. Mr. Armellino, "chef and owner" - we paid almost $30 for this horrible dining experience. you should be ashamed. I must say, there is some truth to your advertising above your bar, and I took a picture of it. Please see the accompanying photo. Simply stated - a HORRIBLE dining experience!!

5  Thank MandMIdaho