“Good seafood & sushi in suburban VA”
Review of Flying Fish - CLOSED

Flying Fish
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Sharon, Massachusetts
“Good seafood & sushi in suburban VA”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Overall, a nice find on a business trip.
The grilled salmon was nicely done & tasty
The sushi was average, though the fish were fresh and did not taste like they were frozen for days beforehand.
Its somewhat loud. The artwork was interesting. I would not consider it a date place however.
Still, a nice place for a group of friends or business folks to go after work, albeit pricier than a pub.

• Visited January 2012

Cincinnati, OH
“Yummy sushi”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

The sushi was great but the other menu items were random to mix with great sushi. If you like a traditional salad with ginger dressing this is not the place but if one person likes sushi & the other does not this is your place- think shrimp & grits, bouillabaisse, or jambalaya and other seafood favorites! It was a fun surprise!

• Visited November 2011
Alexandria, VA
“Excellent restaurant, friendly and accommodating owner and staff”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Flying Fish is a great restaurant with excellent sushi and an interesting menu of other choices. The staff (Jason at the bar, Larry, the owner and all the staff) are friendly and anxious to meet your expectations. Great place for both business travelers who dine alone because they can sit at the bar and enjoy the food and atmosphere. Wonderful for a dinner out for couples or families. The artwork is a feature of the restaurant and the owner (an artist, himself) took great care in choosing fixtures and lighting. For those who want to dine in style with reasonable value, choose Flying Fish next time you are in Old Town Alexandria.

• Visited August 2011
Merritt Island, Florida
“Flying Fish”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Five of us ate dinner at Flying Fish last night, the decibel level was fairly high for a Wednesday night, we were seated next to the tray/dish drop off and the waiters made no attempt to calmly place the dirty dishes in the tray. Two of the wines we chose from the wine menu were not available, but the waiter failed to tell us this until after we ordered them. He said they hadn't carried them for some time nor had they gotten around to changing the wine list. The menu was slightly misleading when it talked about Sushi-grade tuna and salmon, it gave the impression that you could also order it grilled/blackened/or caribe blackened. But that was not the case. The Mahi Mahi fish of the day was the only fish that could be ordered non-sushi style. The grilled Mahi Mahi was excellent, it was served hot, tender, and moist with a fruit salsa. The mango mousse dessert was light and refreshing.

• Visited September 2011
Memphis, Tennessee
“Great sushi, but they have roaches!”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I am local to Alexandria and I have gone to this restaurant about 7 or 8 times. I honestly loved the sushi there - they have creative and delicious sushi and rolls. The drinks were good (although pricy), I would normally get a chocotini...but they were made Extremely inconsistent depending on what bartender was making it.

The thing that stopped me from going...on two separate occasions, some small roaches ran across the bar at me! The first time I figured OK, maybe it's just an isolated incident...but when it happened a second time, I was done. Worse than the fact that it happened was the way it was handled - nobody seemed apologetic about it (just killed the roach for me), no one came to address the issue, they didn't take anything off the bill...nothing. I found myself having to prompt / question the servers for more info and letting them know this is the second time it has happened. The first time, the server (a woman) blamed the people in the building upstairs for the problem...the second time the server (a guy) sort of (but not really) acknowledged a slight problem and said they exterminate all the time. So I haven't gone there for about a year, not sure if it has improved or not but I'm not taking any chances...two strikes is enough for me.

Also I liked the environment upstairs, but I found the bar downstairs to be way too dim / dark and dingy...depressing even. I didn't like going down there, but had to if I wanted to take advantage of the happy hour prices. I also believe smoking was allowed in one half of the room, but there was nothing stopping the smoke from flowing over to the other unpartitioned side of the room. Not sure if they have since discontinued smoking or not.

Other items...
-I had the crab ball appetizer...they sound way better than they actually are.
-I like the warm / soft breadsticks with the olive spread...delicious.
-Had the shrimp and grits one time, it was okay...I think I am biased by having this dish at Carlyle Grand, I prefer theirs.
-Service is average to substandard most of the time.

• Visited September 2010