“Filling, great ambiance, wonderful experience.”

Bittersweet Catering
Ranked #143 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: A local favorite since 1983, Bittersweet has established itself as one of the premiere corporate and social caterers in the metropolitan area. We offer full-service catering as well as an in-house Bakery -- a local Old Town Alexandria tradition.
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Came to Alexandria for the first time and didn't know where to eat. Walked past here and it looked good. In this case, you can judge the quality of the food by the appearance of the establishment. 5/5 would recommend to everyone.

Betty S, Owner at Bittersweet Catering, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thanks Brian - you made our day! Thanks for stopping in and digging our community ambiance. That's exactly what we strive for everyday. Safe travels to you.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We ate brunch for $30 for 3 people. Price was not that outrageous, but the portions were sparse. My wife had a dish that the menu described as "shredded chicken" which turned out to obviously be canned chicken. The food was not awful just kind of average. I will not got back.

Dear lwshipman -

Thank you for you considerate feedback - I must tell you the shredded chicken is from a freshly roasted bird that we hand shred - we are not familiar with canned chicken. We appreciate your business and wish you the best in finding a brunch spot for less than $10 per person in your travels.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I am in DC for a business trip and have been staying in Alexandria for the week and went here twice for lunch. Their sandwiches are delicious!!! I would definitely recommend the Turkey BLT on sourdough... AWESOME! And don't forget to pair up up with a giant cranberry lemonade. Loved the quaint little boutique bakery/cafe atmosphere with the little tables outdoors and fresh baked sweets in the display case - which are also fantastic... being here in the fall time makes it even that much better because of the pumpkin goodies.

I wouldn't say that the service is stellar, but I have no complaints about it. I got what I ordered quickly and was not disappointed! I would tell anyone I know to go here!!!

Betty S, Manager at Bittersweet Catering, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

hewg07,

I am glad you stopped by for your business trip! The Turkey BLT is a customer favorite at Bittersweet. With fall now here, we have also been offering rainy day specials and seasonal espresso drinks. I hope you will find some time to stop in again if you are in the area and try some of our hot seasonal specials.

Melissa Rupe
Café Manager

Reviewed September 19, 2013

This cafe is only a half of block from where we stayed. During the week they don't have individualy cooked breakfast, but they their pre-cooked breakfast items are tasty and fresh. On the weekends, they have a breakfast buffet and offer individually cooked breakfasts - both of these are very good. Their fresh orange juice is supreme! The smoothies are wonderful.

Betty S, Manager at Bittersweet Catering, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Gary and Lynn,

I am glad you had such a wonderful experience with us! We do our best to ensure our products are fresh and to our guests' desire. The orange juice from our fresh squeezed orange juice machine is a customer favorite.
We hope to see you again soon and see the new products we have available, such as Jody's Popcorn and our fresh retail bread.

Melissa Rupe
Café Manager

Reviewed September 9, 2013

I ordered the BLT and it did not come on sourdough as requested. I used to get a pickle, now no pickle. It was OK, The counter person didn't seem to like waiting for me to find change either, as if I was bothering her. I used to look forward to coming here. Next time, I'll see what else is out there.