“Order the mexican fare for the best treat..” 4 of 5 stars

Bittersweet Cafe
Ranked #77 of 723 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: A neighborhood favorite since 1983, Bittersweet Cafe is a lively gathering and eating place in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. The cafe offers a wide variety of artfully prepared and delicious foods, including a daily selection of homemade soups, freshly prepared salads, innovative sandwiches, a hot buffet and fresh salad bar, as well as many long-time client favorites like the Azteca cookie and our Big Drinks - Cran-lemonade & homemade Iced Tea.
Jersey
“Order the mexican fare for the best treat..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I walked to this cafe from our hotel based upon TA reviews and I wasn't disappointed. I had assumed from the name and the many reviews that I would just be getting a coffee and a pastry for breakfast. Imagine my surprise when I saw that they had Migas and Chilaquiles on the menu for breakfast! I ordered the Migas and man were they spicy and delicious! The chilaquiles were just as good, but I liked the kick of the Migas more than the chilaquiles. If I get a chance to go back, it will be for the migas! I didn't try the coffee, but the Passion fruit and the Very Berry smoothies were delicious, and helped temper the heat from the migas! DH wasn't impressed with the traditional breakfast he ordered, he said it was like diner food, but 1/3 of the price higher. For the best bang for your buck, go with the pastries or the mexican fare. You won't be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank jerseyfoodie
Betty S, Owner at Bittersweet Cafe, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hi Jerseyfoodie! Thank you for the great review - we're so glad you found us and enjoyed our brunch cuisine. If you are still in town, we'd love to have you for our Mexico City inspired dinner. A fantastic menu designed by some chef friends of mine from Mexico. We offer an extensive menu of real (not Tex-Mex) Mexican food and it's been receiving rave reviews from the locals. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Alexandria. Bueno suerte!

No. VA
“Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We had the Jelly Cake at Bittersweet Cafe, and it was delicious! I understand they don't have it everyday, so we were lucky! They do have lots of tasty cakes, pastries, muffins and other delicious goodies. I think the "bitter" part comes from the fact that you can't try everything. I'd recommend it!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Pastry”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stopped in for coffee and pastry. I had an apple turnover and it was delicious. It was a good size, served warm and full of apples. The apples were soft to bite into and had a nice touch of cinnamon. Lovely place to stop for a snack walking down King Street.

St. Paul, MN
“Amazing Food & Treats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Bittersweet was located close to our hotel. My husband and I split a Turkey Avacado BLT and a Carrot Cake cupcake. Both were absolutely amazing! We are still talking about the wonderful lunch we had here.

Palmetto, Florida
“Freezer to table breads, muffins etc.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We didn't like anything about it. Food was terrible if you wanted fresh cooked eggs etc. they were served from a warming table and cooked in big batches. Don't waste your time.

Betty S, Owner at Bittersweet Cafe, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
We're so sorry you didn't enjoy your experience with us but appreciate your taking the time to let us know. We wish you had brought it to our attention while you were in our shop so that staff could have made things right for you. Regarding your comment about freezing our product, I have to respectfully disagree with you. With an on premise bakery and a very busy shop we don't freeze our product.
Again we are sorry you didn't enjoy your experience and hope you had a great time during the remainder of your time in Alexandria.