“A Disappointing Breakfast”

Ranked #250 of 759 Restaurants in Alexandria
Alexandria, Virginia
“A Disappointing Breakfast”
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

I saw this cafe on a Saturday and it was crowded so I thought it was better to try the cafe during the week. It was not crowded on a Thursday morning. All the breakfast items, such as pannis, quiche, and quesadillas are pre-made and are heated up for the customer. The quiche and the quesadilla were tasteless and very disappointing. The only part of the meal that was tasty was the coffee. We did not try any pastries which did not appear enticingly exceptional. The counter help was prompt in taking our order.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Carol A

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“My favorite bakery anywhere!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

I've been enjoying their pastries when I can since they opened in the late 1980's. Favorites: fruit tarts, napoleons, lemon bars, and white chocolate mousse cake. They also have food and tables where you can sit and eat. I moved from Northern Virginia in 2003, but I never pass up an opportunity to stop here when I visit.

Alexandria, VA
“A Neighborhood Gem”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is a favorite destination for Alexandrians in the west end of the city. Delicious pastries, cakes and cookies with excellent coffee draws people to eat, relax and talk. A nice selection of sandwiches and salads has moved the APS to become a cafe as well. Well-trained staff add to the ambience. A good place to order cakes for special occasions although these are a bit pricey.
But you will come back to enjoy a neigborly setting for a favorite treat.

Visited January 2014
“Used to be worth the money...”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

I used to attend this bakery regularly when I went to my hairdresser, located in the same shopping center.

Their food prices have escalated, and they now even charge for a pickle and a bag of chips with a simple sandwich order.

Their desserts are good, but with teenagers running the show, don't be so mighty as to charge an arm and a leg for a simple meal. Make your money off of your desserts, which you want to be known for.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank navidad_not
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“No manners, rude manager/owner...”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

No manners, rude manager/owner... The person who runs that place (an older man) is never happy, never says Hi or Good-Bye. The pastries are not bad, but the atmosphere there is not very good. You don't feel welcome or appreciated. That person acts like he is doing you a favor by letting you in. Once I was asking a cashier something about pastries and prices - he rudely interrupted our conversation and abruptly gave me an answer. I don't think the cashier's answer was totally correct but there are other ways how to handle the situation. One time I overheard him speaking to an older couple. They had questions about catering an event, or something. At one point he replied to them something in lines of "because I said so". I think he is prior military (so am I) - with those interpersonal skills he should stay in the barracks. They always have a sign on their door "Help Wanted" - it is like a revolving door. I don't think it is a good place to work - that's why nobody stays there. When we moved to Alexandria, we went there a few times. But then we stopped. We don't want to sponsor unprofessionalism and rudeness. We are not going back.

• Visited August 2013