“Love their muffins”

Ranked #252 of 763 Restaurants in Alexandria
Washington, DC
“Love their muffins”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

When I want a really good muffin (cherry is my fave), this is where I go. They also have some fabulous pastries. Need a desert for a function? Can't go wrong picking something up from this place. Triple chocolate mousse cake is my usual choice. The service can leave something to be desired. And, NEVER ask for a cup of hot water for a tea bag you have brought yourself. They will charge you the full price for a cup of tea. Don't mind paying for a cup, but full price -- nope.

• Visited January 2012

Alexandria, Virginia
“Tasty, but with an identity crisis”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This place always serves up good, fresh dishes. But it doesn't act like a restaurant, or even a take out place for that matter. This is primarily a catering place that offers to-go food. Some complain about the service, but it isn't set up for service, so I don't expect it. You wait a little bit in line sometimes, but that's ok. Their salad and dessert (!) selections are strong.

• Visited November 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A Few Good Sandwiches, Mediocre Pastries and Cakes, Very Poor Manager Customer Skills”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Alexandria Pastry Shop looks like a cute place to go in. It is always cold inside, summer or winter, so that makes the atmosphere a little less compelling. I went to this pastry shop a few times before, and then I bought 2 Amazon Local coupons. First time I used one, it worked like a charm, I picked the sandwiches and salads of my choice, and went on my merry way. The second time around, my experience was quite the opposite. I had to drive 20 miles round trip for my little expedition, and all I wanted was a few good sandwiches. The manager notices my coupon and tells me I cannot use it on anything from the sandwich side of the store. There are two sides in the store, one with pastries and cakes, and one with sandwiches, salads, quiches, soups. I always went and got goods from the sandwich side, I previously tried the pastry/cake side, and it was not the best. The manager invites me to go to the second class citizen side, where my coupon would belong. The coupon says baked goods, and that is what I can buy with it. I try to make a case about my other coupon, which worked on this side, but he assures me it was a mistake. I understand. I ask for a few slices of quiche, which can surely qualify as baked goods. He says he cannot serve me from this side of the store, which is more expensive, and would make him lose money. I tell him quiche is baked. He refers again to my baked goods side, but he finally agrees that quiche is baked. Nonetheless, he sends me on my way to the other side. By now I was quite unhappy that I drove all the way here and I would not get what I wanted. I went to the baked goods side, though, picked 4 ham and cheese croissants, 2 chocolate croissants, and asked for a slice of tiramisu. Unfortunately they were out of tiramisu. I told them very firmly that tiramisu is the only cake slice I want to get, and got back to the manager's discretion. He tells me to choose anything else from the case, I tell him I do not want anything else. He offers me a frozen $27.99 tiramisu cake, I tell him I only want a slice. He finally agrees to go cut the cake, and give me a slice. He also offers a cup of free coffee, while I wait. I refuse politely. His "kind" way of mending things does not go a long way, I am not interested in free coffee. I am not sure he understood that he just lost a customer (possibly a lot more if people are concerned about customer service), he made 31 cents on this purchase, ended up with a tiramisu cake he needs to sell by the piece, and a bad review. Was sticking to the letter of the coupon worth it? Having made an exception would have rendered me grateful, brought money to the business, and ensured a satisfied customer, who would surely have come back. If I go to a place and find mediocre food, I think twice about writing a review, but if the mediocre food is coupled with poor customer service, I let other people know about my opinion. Kindness and tolerance goes a long way, in life, and especially in the hotel/restaurant business. Even if I read carefully the fine print, I would not have understood the baked goods part, so an exception about sandwich side/baked goods side of the store would have gone a long way. If I want to have good pastries, cakes, baked goods, I go to Whole Foods, Dean and Deluca, Balducci's, Le Pain Quotidien, and of course, Patisserie Poupon. When you have such fierce competition in a cosmopolitan area, when your shop is called a pastry shop, and you want to bring people in for baked goods, it is best to be kind to your customers, and they might just overlook the fact that your pastry shop is simply mediocre, with cake prices rivaling these above mentioned excellent pastry shops. The really expensive cake prices are the only thing rivaling the good pastry shops in the Washington Area, the quality is definitely missing here, at Alexandria Pastry Shop and Cafe, both in the baked goods side of the store, and in the manager customer skills.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank LoveAndSunflowers
Washington, D.C.
“Excellent local pastry shop and great coffee too”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

*The* local pastry shop to frequent for family parties and events, this storefront shop in a strip mall makes excellent coffee and espresso drinks, and has miles of display cases full of gorgeously decorated American deserts, french pastries, and an assortment of layered chocolate mousse cakes. I can't wait for my next occasion to go back and pick up an amazing cake. The place was full of young parents and their toddlers when we stopped in during the business day.

• Visited July 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Almost 5 stars”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The food is great, especially the baked goods. The prices are a bit too high for things like sandwiches and the people who make the sandwiches don't speak much english so often put the wrong toppings on and never announce when they are made. This is OK but means you sit and wait longer than needed because the food is ready but no one says so. But we do go here all the time and like it in general very much.

Visited July 2012