“So-so. Wouldn't bother to go back.”
Review of Don Pablo's

Don Pablo's
Ranked #500 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Herndon, Virginia
“So-so. Wouldn't bother to go back.”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My fiance and I went there this past week for dinner. We were able to walk right in without a wait, which was great. I'm from Texas, so I'm always looking for good Tex-Mex, and this is close to where I live.

The service wasn't that great. When we were seated, it took almost ten minutes for our waitress to come by our table and take our drink orders. She came back about five-to-ten minutes later with our drinks to take our orders. It must have taken 40 minutes to get our food, which wasn't special. We both ordered enchiladas, which should pretty much be ready to go at a Tex-Mex restaurant. Our waitress didn't even bother to ask us which side we wanted with our combos; she just automatically gave us refried beans, which was the one thing neither of us wanted... so that wound up going to waste. We had to ask for utensils when they brought us our food, which got us a look of disgust from the person bringing the food. I think the entire time we were there, our drinks were refilled once. When we were done with dinner, and ordered dessert, it probably took another 20-25 minutes to receive our dessert. At that point we were just ready to go. It was 9:00 p.m. by that point.

As to the quality of the food, it was just OK. I made enchiladas myself for the first time ever last week and they were better than Don Pablo's. I would probably just drive the 30 minutes to On the Border next time.

Don Pablo's just needs to work on their service. I would be more willing to put up with the average food if it was served punctually with a smile.

• Visited July 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Clean, fresh, dependable, good service...”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I just visited and have been to Don Pablo's many times and find it dependably clean and fresh with good service. Chips are fresh, margaritas are tasty. Steak dishes are better than chicken. Children's menu is worth it. A nice tex mex alternative in Arlington/Alexandria area (and in a city with few tex mex options), but it is not worth a long trip to get there.

Visited July 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“This location not as good as the ones in Texas”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Although the rice and tortillas were homemade, the restaurant was not as good as the ones that used to be in Texas. The fajitas were good, the queso was runny and the beans tasted like they opened up a can of Charro beans. I am not sure that I would go back to this location.

Visited June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“New fav!”
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Don Pablo's has become my favorite girlfriend hang out. I have been there a couple times now and both times I was very pleased with the overall establishment.

The decor is lively and festive. This restaurant boasts high ceilings and spacious dining and seating. The tables are a perfect size, booth spacing is comfortable and the lighting is low enough to give you a relaxed feeling but its not so dark you can hardly see.

Happy hour is lively and bustling but revelers don't disturb those casually or romantically dining. They have great happy hour offerings.

The food was delicious and cost-efficient with generous portions; the friendly (handsome and flirty) wait staff didn't hurt none either.

Good for girls' nights, casual dates, happy hour, coworker outings. Kids can come but I wouldn't call it a family restaurant.

• Visited June 2013
Hadley, New York
“Large Group - Food good”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had a large group dining over the Memorial Day weekend - called ahead since we have 20 in our party - we were a little late arriving. Our table was not ready. Had to wait for the servers to pull tables together. Luckily we were with 15 guys so they helped pull the tables together.

Service was good - assigned one waitress to our table. She did the best she could and was friendly and accomodating. They would not allow for seperate checks, so we divided into four groups to make it easier to figure out the check. Checks were a mess. Took awhile to get it straightened out.

Food was pretty good. Chips and salsa plentiful. Margaritas good. Prices were average.

• Visited May 2013