“Fine dining done right”

Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King Street
Transit: King Street Metro
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had a lovely dinner at The Grille. The restaurant has a Foch flair. Food was done to our liking, service was excellent, rooms were nicely decorated. They either seat you in the lounge area (live music, lively people doing) or the quieter dining room. We chose quiet. In between courses the manager brought out all sorts of little appetizers and tasty things to try. Very enjoyable over all.

Adam M, General Manager at The Grille at Morrison House, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

That lounge area is quite a unique experience. We definitely encourage our guests to eat in the dining room if they need a little peace and quiet. I am very grateful you had such a positive experience during your stay with us. We strive to offer great food and service, and it looks like we accomplished our goal. Don't worry - we won't stop trying to seek perfection. We look forward to having you next time.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

First off, really cute little "club room" off the Formal Dining Room. Chairs were really cozy. Great bartender. Server brought some wondrous amuse bouche to the table; have no recollection what it was but I liked it!

Had the duck breast. You either like duck or you don't. This was some good duck! There was a pumpkin sauce with it that was delectable. Great veg choice and I believe risotto. I had the Valhrona chocolate molten cake for dessert. One of the best I have ever had. Not a cheap meal! I spent $65 on some yummy French food. Breakfast next day with hotel voucher was also a really nice experience and I thoroughly enjoyed the wait staff. A table of four asked for the 1950's pop-rock piped music changed to classical which caused a bit of confusion (don't know that they ever successfully changed it) but added a little texture to the evening.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience at The Grille. I must say that I am a duck kind of guy. I usually get it, whatever preparation it may be, whenever I go out to dinner. Heck, I'd even have it for breakfast if I could. Speaking of breakfast, I am equally as happy to hear you had a nice morning with us as well. I like the two in one reviews.

Should you stay with us again, please do not hesistate to join us in The Grille for a great meal.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The food and the service were both wonderful. The tables were well done and the chairs comfortable. we would eat there again

Thank you for the positive comments on your Grille experience. I am glad we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I took my sister here for her birthday. We went on an evening that wasn't crowded. Actually only 2 other tables seated. The waitress demeanor was like she just came out of a truck stop. Her hair was a mess. The service was terrible. It took forever to get our meail/courses and she didn't know how to open a bottle of wine or pour wine. Spilled it more than she poured it. However, I will say, the food was Excellent. I ordered the special, which was fish, and my sister ordered lamb. Both were excellent. So for the food I would go back and rate it high, but for the environment, service and price I would rate it low. This is suppose to be a sophisticated, upscale, high-end place. With a famous chef and cuisine. And the hotel is beautiful. But their staff does not "match" the 5 Star quality they try to have and hold. Clearly, the manager needs to do a better job of hiring and training the personnel here in the restaurant.
Definitely recommend the hotel as a place to stay in Old Town.

1  Thank LadyAboutTown
Adam M, Manager at The Grille at Morrison House, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you for the feedback, and I am sorry you did not have a good experience. I was surprised to see you waited six months to write the review, as it is no longer an accurate picture of what we are doing here at The Grille.

I started in August and did some retraining and reorganizing of the staff. While reading your review, I know exactly who your server was, and she is no longer with us.

It seems you enjoyed the food, and I would like to invite you back to see the improvements we have made in the service category.

We hope to see you again soon, and should you wish to try us out again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for your reservation needs.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

While staying at Morrison House, had two breakfasts at The Grille. The Grille has a nice atmosphere - the service is friendly - and the food is good ! Dinner, however, is expensive - visitors will want to consider costs. Overall, Morrison House is an excellent hotel - and the Grille is in keeping with this.

Adam M, General Manager at The Grille at Morrison House, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of the hotel and restaurant. I was pleased to know you enjoyed the quality of food and service during your stay. However, I am terribly sorry you did not find your dinner a great value. We like the positive feedback as well as the negative, so we can continue to improve. I will pass your comments along to our Executive Chef, so we can evaluate our menu pricing. Once again, thank you for your review.