“A celebration with 7 courses paired with wine”
Review of The Grille at Morrison House - CLOSED

Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King Street
Transit: King Street Metro
“A celebration with 7 courses paired with wine”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We wanted to try something different for our anniversary celebration, so we visited the Morrison House Grill. Tucked away in a boutique hotel just a block from King Street in Old Town Alexandria, we had planned to take advantage of their Sunday night special of most wines at 50% off, but instead decided to try the Chef's tasting which consisted of seven courses paired with wines. The food was very good, including an artichoke pate with black truffles, an unusual gazpacho with ice cream, a delicious chicory and endive salad with small crumbles of bleu cheese, thinly sliced apples and walnuts. We were a bit disappointed that the kitchen had run out of salmon, but the substituted scallops were quite yummy, as was the lamb loin saddles that came next, followed by cheese, then molten chocolate cake...

Each course was accompanied by a nicely-paired wine. Don't sign up for this if you are driving because they are not stingy with the wine!

Overall the service was very good, although there was a small timing issue with bringing the wine for one of the courses. Our waiter, Pablo, was very attentive throughout the evening, as we enjoyed a leisurely 3 hour dining experience...we did not feel rushed at all. The dining room was intimate and reminded us of an English pub with its leather barrel chairs. I would recommend this restaurant but would reserve the chef's tasting for special occasions as it is pricey. The regular menu offerings were a little on the high side but not unreasonable. I would recommend this restaurant as a place for couples or a small group of friends but this is definitely not a place for children.

1 Thank Itchyfeetmama

Falls Church, Virginia
“Pricey but fancy-schmancy and delicious!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I read on another site that dinner at the Grille at Morrison House averages $31-$50 which is a bit beyond my typical price range. However, it was DC Restaurant Week, so a limited menu was avaliable for a fixed price of $35.12, and that was the perfect excuse to justify dining here. I made a reservation for myself plus two guests for 8:00pm on a Sunday night.

The Grille at Morrison House definitely gave off an upscale vibe, and its style appeared very "classic" (not "trendy"). I couldn't help noticing that nearly all of the other guests were older than myself (I'm 33), based on their grey hair. It looked like the kind of place that you could come for an afternoon tea. While the place was a decent size, it was broken up into a series of smaller dining rooms off a main hallway. This made the dining experience quieter, more intimate, and more relaxing than other restaurants that I typically visit. Our dining room also included two other groups of four people each, plus a couple. Beyond that, there were only one or two more tables in the room, which were empty. So as you can imagine, there wasn't a lot of noise.

The food was DELICIOUS! My artichoke pate was flavorful & creamy on top of vegetables, and I loved the unique "artichoke chips" (thin and crunchy, just like potato chips, but made of artichoke). The chicken was juicy and cooked just right. The three of us ordered three different desserts & shared. Mine was something like a chocolate warm lava cake, another was sort of like small scoops of ice cream in pastry, and I don't remember the other, but we ate every bite (and my guests are not typically "dessert people" but even they indulged!). As if that weren't fabulous, we also got three surprise tastes of things we hadn't even ordered - salmon, champagne, and gazpacho - "compliments of the chef." Our waiter was also polite and classy.

I would love to go back to the Grille at Morrison House. Not sure if I can afford it right now on a regular basis, but it would be great for a special occasion. One thing I'll do differently next time, though, is dress up a little bit more. I had on dark jeans & a nice blouse, but most other people there were in dresses & skirts.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Marisa M
Williston, Vermont
“Excellent relaxing brunch!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Wonderful way to spend midday and eat as well. Just a charming uncrowded space with great service and delicious food.

• Visited August 2012
Waterloo, Canada
“Excellent breakfast”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The food was good and the service was exceptional. A lovely breakfast and wonderful start to our day!

Visited July 2012
Arlington, VA
“Perfection Updated”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I cannot say enough about The Grille. The wait staff is incredible, efficient, knowledgeable, and friendly. Pablo, our waiter, remembered us from our weekend in May, and seemed to have a personal aim to make sure we were delighted. He is definitely one of the best waiters I have ever had the delight to meet. We again had the artichoke dip (on Pablo’s personal recommendation) and we were again delighted. It is a wonderful mix of flavors, from the delicate artichoke taste to the black truffles. It is served with several artichoke chips and some melba toast. I recommend getting an extra roll so you can savor the rest of the dip. This time my wife had the Lamb Loin Saddle, and she was delighted. I had a taste and remembered it well from our last visit. I had the confit of rabbit. The leg/thigh portion had a delightful sauce and the other piece (which looked like some breast meat) was wrapped in a superb bacon. It was like getting two dishes on one plate. The English pea ravioli could have been a main course in themselves, and were a nice contrast in flavor. This time we got two desserts instead of splitting one. My wife again got the Dark Chocolate Molten Cake which is one of the best chocolate desserts I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I got the Strawberry and Rhubarb. Its base is what I believe is a pound cake (delicious in itself) with a puree of strawberries and rhubarb. On the side is a scoop of lime ice cream. You can mix and match for a variety of flavors. What we also appreciate is the choice of eating either in the dining room or the piano bar. We are a couple of introverts, so the dining room which place the music from the piano bar well in the background is wonderful. And I should add the Pablo was only one of the staff who served our table. There were three other people, so our wants and needs were well taken care of. Sometimes I think they have eyes in the back of their heads so they can keep track of us. All in all, it was another magnificent dinner.

• Visited July 2012