“Excellent breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grille at Morrison House - CLOSED

The Grille at Morrison House
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King Street
Transit: King Street Metro
Waterloo, Canada
“Excellent breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

The food was good and the service was exceptional. A lovely breakfast and wonderful start to our day!

Visited July 2012

Arlington, VA
“Perfection Updated”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I cannot say enough about The Grille. The wait staff is incredible, efficient, knowledgeable, and friendly. Pablo, our waiter, remembered us from our weekend in May, and seemed to have a personal aim to make sure we were delighted. He is definitely one of the best waiters I have ever had the delight to meet. We again had the artichoke dip (on Pablo’s personal recommendation) and we were again delighted. It is a wonderful mix of flavors, from the delicate artichoke taste to the black truffles. It is served with several artichoke chips and some melba toast. I recommend getting an extra roll so you can savor the rest of the dip. This time my wife had the Lamb Loin Saddle, and she was delighted. I had a taste and remembered it well from our last visit. I had the confit of rabbit. The leg/thigh portion had a delightful sauce and the other piece (which looked like some breast meat) was wrapped in a superb bacon. It was like getting two dishes on one plate. The English pea ravioli could have been a main course in themselves, and were a nice contrast in flavor. This time we got two desserts instead of splitting one. My wife again got the Dark Chocolate Molten Cake which is one of the best chocolate desserts I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I got the Strawberry and Rhubarb. Its base is what I believe is a pound cake (delicious in itself) with a puree of strawberries and rhubarb. On the side is a scoop of lime ice cream. You can mix and match for a variety of flavors. What we also appreciate is the choice of eating either in the dining room or the piano bar. We are a couple of introverts, so the dining room which place the music from the piano bar well in the background is wonderful. And I should add the Pablo was only one of the staff who served our table. There were three other people, so our wants and needs were well taken care of. Sometimes I think they have eyes in the back of their heads so they can keep track of us. All in all, it was another magnificent dinner.

• Visited July 2012
Arlington, VA
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

The Grille at Morrison House
The Grille is one of the greatest gustatory pleasures in the area if not the country. Service is flawless. We always had two or three waiters serving us with one clearly in charge. It was also clear that the group communicated about us. We had dinner on Friday, May 18, high tea on Saturday, May 19, and brunch on Sunday, May 20.
Dinner. We had the artichoke dip appetizer and it was as amazing as anything we have ever had. It is a marinated artichoke pate with black truffles, served with a sort of melba toast and some artichoke chips - very think slices of artichoke dried to a crisp. As usual, the chef titillates with both taste and texture. Superb! My wife had a wonderful salmon. The “black trumpet mushrooms” are also called morels, and have wonderful smoky and earthy taste. I had the saddle of lamb loin and it was perfect. I wound up with part of the morels and they were a nice addition.
For dessert, we split the chocolate molten lava cake. It was clearly made and baked to order. While I have had this before elsewhere, the chef raised it to a new level of taste and texture. Superb chocolate.
Tea. It was the third Saturday of the month when little girls are welcome to learn nice manners and have a good time. We were introduced to several, who learned that when at tea one should not say “Aum.” We had the traditional tea (we do not drink alcohol), and it was wonderful. The scones with Devon cream and strawberry jam were fresh, light and delicious. The sandwiches were exquisite. And the tray of sweets was perfect. The tea is very good (I favor Earl Grey and my wife an English or Irish Breakfast). Well worth the price. They do give you a second serving of scones and sandwiches,
Brunch. We ordered ala carte since we do not drink. The waiter did bring my wife a beignet to taste, however, along with what is clearly a freshly made strawberry jam. My wife had the Eggs Chesapeake and they were excellent. I had the buffalo hanger steak with French fries, two eggs, and toast. Again, superb. The steak had a perfect char but was not dried out. Wonderful flavor. The fries and the eggs were perfect.
The best thing about the Grille is the atmosphere. While they do have the piano bar, we ate in the side dining room in peace and quiet. I cannot commend this place too much. I’ve eaten all over the world in some of the finest places, and this one is in the top three.

• Visited May 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Pricey for Family but Hey its Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Perfect but a bill to contemplate for parties of 10 or more who like a pleasant wine..

• Visited July 2011
Rockport, Maine
“Morrison House Grille”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

Excellent food, relaxing and welcoming atmosphere. A favorite of mine whenever I visit Alexandria.

Visited April 2012