“An experience!”

Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King Street
Transit: King Street Metro
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Everything at this restaurant was wonderful! The staff, including the chef and manager, were all very attentive, personable, and made us feel like special guests. The chef even came out to deliver a special dish for us! We tried their 3-course tasting and the food easily made up one of the best meals I have ever had. Some highlights were the apple and duck confit bisque, the scallops progression, and the apricot dessert. Very much looking forward to going back! Thanks for a wonderful evening!

1  Thank iutami

Reviewed December 27, 2011

We were concerned about finding a place open on Christmas Day but were delighted with the Grille. It was full due to its excellent reputation. The prix fixe meal was $50, reasonable compared with the alternatives in the area, but ala carte items were available in the $13-18 range.

My eggs Chesapeake (two Poached Eggs, Crab Norfolk, English Muffin, Asparagus & Old Bay Hollandaise) were delicious and very filling. I also had a nice pear salad and, for dessert, really good cranberry bread pudding! This held us over till a late dinner.

One friend had Coquilles St. Jacques which she said were excellent. My husband had the profiteroles for dessert, which he said were also really good.

We were seated in one of several small rooms in this restaurant attached to a quaint hotel just out of Old Town Alexandria. The service was excellent.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

My daugher and I had groupons for tea at the Morrison House one Saturday afternoon. Before purchasing the groupons we called the hotel and asked if we could use two at one time because the coupon said that we could only use one per visit. We were assured that we could use two so we bought the coupons and made our reservations. Upon arrival, we were ushered into a dining room and given menus. A few minutes laer we were moved to another location in the hotel. It seemed as though the dining room staff was serving tea for the first time. The service was spotty and the food OK att best. We did have one waitress who seemed to have done this before. The rest of the staff seemed disorganized and confused. Maintenance was being completed in the dining room as we ate. The hotel lobby and dining rooms seemed out of date and somewhat stuffy. Once the bill arrived, we were told that we could use only one groupon. We assured the staff that we were told we could use both and gave them the name of the employee who told us differently. The manager was called and told us that they would accept both coupons but that the employee had been mistaken. Tea at the Morrison house is more than 30.00 per person. Not really sure why. We will not be returning.

2  Thank PB62757
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Tuesday night is the highlight here - they have (I think it was called) 'open piano' night, where locals and people who can honestly sing, can sing. We heard one local woman sing a beautiful rendition of Silent Night, and people we talked to all said it was well worth going there.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

There was nothing wrong with our meal but I was expecting a lot more. The service was excellent - no complaints there. But the food was just good, not exceptional as I imagined based on other reviews. My salmon was described as wild-caught Coho, but the color and texture looked like regular Atlantic Salmon. It also felt like an old dining room that my grandparents would have liked; not modern and I didn't feel like it was unique to Old Town. Nothing bad - but not as memorable as I wanted. Especially for the cost.