“LOVE IT!”

1,408 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 3,935 helpful votes
“LOVE IT!”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is by far one of my most favorite places to eat in Old Town. They have amazing baba ganoush, hummus, everything. The food is done right, spiced right, pretty, and awesome. I love taking people here because I know it'll always be a good experience!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank QuickWhitTravel

• Turkish first
Virginia
“Great food”
Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

Excellent food. Both veggie and meat dishes. Service was very attentive. Babghanouj is superb.Would eat here again.

Bonita Springs, Florida
“Tasty for lunch!”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I ordered a salad of chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers, and it was absolutely delicious! I expected something ordinary but I thought this was extraordinary. It was perfect for a light lunch.

Visited July 2012
D.C. Metro (Maryland side)
“Not Impressed "The Good, The Great, and Why you'd Avoid"”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

In Alexandria there are too many restaurants that are decent or good to waste time on restaurants that are just so-so. This place barely even makes it to "so-so" From the menus having "the wrong price" to the army of flies that surround you while in the dining room, I would not reccomend this to anyone.

The Good - The pita sandwhiches were good. The portion size was enough for a meal, and they did not skimp on the expensive ingredients like the salmon. The flavor was far from great, but of all the aspects of my dining experience, the word good would best describe the food.

The Great - The location. This place is right on King st. about 7 blocks from the torpedo factory, and the sandwhiches are wrapped in a way so that you can eat them as you walk around Alexandria.

Why you'd Avoid - When we first walked in the entire restaurant was a ghost town. Not a good sign to start with but we were early and by the time we left there were two other customers. It took awhile to to be helped, and while waiting at our table for what seemed like ages, (once again we were the only people there so it wasn't like they were too busy) we were under a constant barrage of flies. I had heard that this place had good food so we decided to just take it to go, oddly enough no flies outside while we tried to eat. When we ordered our food and the price came to be a couple bucks more than the menu price, the cashier said " oh, those aren't the right prices, we should probably reprint that." They of course did not honor the menu price, but since I had already had my card run, and spent way too long here anyway, I just went with it.

Horrible service, disgusting dining room, and the vast array of other options for dining in the area make this a place I will never return to. If you still decide to go, I hope your experience is better than mine.

If you found this style of review helpful, please click the helpful tab so I know to keep writing these. Thank you for your time.

• Visited July 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
“Food OK, Service Not So Good”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We picked Pita House among the many restaurants on King St. The menu hanging on the front of the building had a great selection and reasonable prices.

When we went into the restaurant (about 2 p.m. on a Saturday) there were guests at only one other table. We were seated right away and given a high chair for our 1 year old.

After that, the service was so so at best.

It took at least 10 minutes for our server to come over and take our drink order. That may not sound like that long, but the group who was sitting in the restaurant when we arrived (4 people) left soon after we got there, so we were the only customers for quite awhile. It was over 90 degrees and we were very thirsty and hot. The staff was sitting at a table back near the kitchen window just talking.

Our order was finally taken about 20 minutes after we arrived. It took another 20 minutes for the food to be ready. It sat on the shelf by the kitchen for at least another 10 minutes. Our server was busy talking to his co-workers and then waiting on another table (there were customers at 2 tables by the time we left).

The other staff was simply standing around by the kitchen window, even though our food was ready and our server was taking an order. It's pretty common that if a server is busy and someone else is not, you deliver their customers' food. Our server's co-worker did finally deliver it after I looked at him a few times because our 1 year old was getting restless.

I created my own platter with spinach pie, sambousick cheese, labneh and chicken. The chicken had a strong citrus flavor (maybe lemon?) and was good, but dry. The sambousick cheese was deep fried wonderfully and was the best part of the meal. The remaining items were nothing special.

My husband had a higher opinion of the food than I did. He ordered the kafta. The salad was average but he enjoyed the meat, as did our daughter. However, it also seemed a bit overcooked and was a little dry.

The homemade lemonade was very good.

Overall, the food was average. Nothing too special about it really. Prices were reasonable. Although the servers were friendly, the level of customer service was below average. Our water glasses were refilled only once, staff was standing around simply talking to one another and it took awhile to take and deliver our order.

We are unlikely to go back. There are too many other restaurants on King St. to try to settle on one that's average to below average.

• Visited July 2012