“Food OK, Service Not So Good”
Review of Pita House

Pita House
Ranked #46 of 757 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Alexandria, Virginia
“Food OK, Service Not So Good”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We picked Pita House among the many restaurants on King St. The menu hanging on the front of the building had a great selection and reasonable prices.

When we went into the restaurant (about 2 p.m. on a Saturday) there were guests at only one other table. We were seated right away and given a high chair for our 1 year old.

After that, the service was so so at best.

It took at least 10 minutes for our server to come over and take our drink order. That may not sound like that long, but the group who was sitting in the restaurant when we arrived (4 people) left soon after we got there, so we were the only customers for quite awhile. It was over 90 degrees and we were very thirsty and hot. The staff was sitting at a table back near the kitchen window just talking.

Our order was finally taken about 20 minutes after we arrived. It took another 20 minutes for the food to be ready. It sat on the shelf by the kitchen for at least another 10 minutes. Our server was busy talking to his co-workers and then waiting on another table (there were customers at 2 tables by the time we left).

The other staff was simply standing around by the kitchen window, even though our food was ready and our server was taking an order. It's pretty common that if a server is busy and someone else is not, you deliver their customers' food. Our server's co-worker did finally deliver it after I looked at him a few times because our 1 year old was getting restless.

I created my own platter with spinach pie, sambousick cheese, labneh and chicken. The chicken had a strong citrus flavor (maybe lemon?) and was good, but dry. The sambousick cheese was deep fried wonderfully and was the best part of the meal. The remaining items were nothing special.

My husband had a higher opinion of the food than I did. He ordered the kafta. The salad was average but he enjoyed the meat, as did our daughter. However, it also seemed a bit overcooked and was a little dry.

The homemade lemonade was very good.

Overall, the food was average. Nothing too special about it really. Prices were reasonable. Although the servers were friendly, the level of customer service was below average. Our water glasses were refilled only once, staff was standing around simply talking to one another and it took awhile to take and deliver our order.

We are unlikely to go back. There are too many other restaurants on King St. to try to settle on one that's average to below average.

• Turkish first
Salina, Kansas
“ate their a week ago”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We ate at the Pita House on a July 4th holiday. The food was very good at an acceptable price. I judge service by speed of servers and how often they check my water glass. On both cases they were top of the line. Overall an excellent choice for our lunch.

Connecticut
“excellent food”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Fresh, good food, artfully prepared. Good atmosphere - good looking and good Lebanese music. Friendly service. You can find Middle Eastern food for less money, but not this good and certainly not in Old Town!

Visited June 2012
Annandale, Virginia
“Excellent all the way around!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went with my neice for a girls night out, and because I had seen a dish on their menu that was similar to a dish I used to love from another long closed Lebanese restaurant,... Fatteh Blameh. We started with the combination appetizer platter, which was honestly enough food for the whole meal! And they put even numbers of items (two stuffed grape leave..etc) on the platter.. I hate it when there are four people, and a platter consists of three items each.. who gets the item? The appetizer platter was excellent.. all the samples on the plate were fresh and flavorful! I had the Fatteh Blameh for the main entree, of course, which was just as delicious as I remembered it. The lamb was fork tender, and the pita nice and crunchy.. NOTE.. this dish contains an extraordinary amount of garlic.. don't plan on seeing clients afterward! :) My neice got a kabab, which I of course tried, and which was delicious and nicely cooked.. not overdone and dry.

The wait staff was fantastic. We were immediately greeted and offered drinks. The appetizer dish came out quickly. We were able to finish it at our leisure, however, before they brought out our entrees. I hate it when I'm half way through an appetizer, and my main course is brought out.. I like time to savor foods and chat. Entrees came out hot and obviously freshly prepared. I was most impressed by the lady in charge of filling water glasses... when eating lots of garlic, one tends to get thirsty.. that woman was there each and every time my glass was half empty! In the end I had to tell her to stop filling it as I was going to float away!

Overall a very lovey evening. We were able to sit and chat long after our meal was done, and never once felt rushed to get out. There was no one waiting to be seated (otherwise we would have left), but it was still nice to be able to sit and talk without any pressure.

Birmingham, AL, USA
“Beyond compare!”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I stopped at this restaurant with two teenage daughters who aren't normally very adventurous eaters. We were hot and tired and hungry. We all walked away comfortably full and very happy!

Khalid was our waiter and he was so helpful in explaining what each food item was. He was also friendly and solicitous, but not in an intrusive way. My girls loved their food and said the baklava was "to die for".

All of their food is made fresh in their kitchen. I definitely recommend the hummus and the baklava, even if you don't eat anything else. We will definitely return if we are in the area again!