“Beatiful Resort, Conveient Location!”

Wyndham Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed April 18, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at this resort (beginning of April) and found it to be a wonderful place to stay. From the moment we walked in the front doors, the resort staff were friendly and welcoming. The Guest Services person was very helpful with alternate sightseeing ideas since we were a little early for the cherry blossoms. She provided maps, brochures and discount coupons for things in the local area.

The resort is situated perfectly for accessing either the Metro or going down to the waterfront. The Metrorail is directly behind the resort and there is a (free) trolley that picks up at the metro stop and travels down King Street to the waterfront (about one mile). Along the way, there is a variety of restaurants and shops to visit. Unless you like to walk a lot I would recommend walking down to the water and take the trolley back.

We stayed in room 306 which was on the back side of the resort (train track side). There were some reviews that said the noise from the trains was annoying, but we weren’t bothered by them. By the time we got back to the room at night we couldn’t hear the trains at all. I wouldn’t want to trade the convenience of being across the street from the station for a little noise.
Every afternoon or morning the resort offered things like chips and salsa, pie, or bagels. They also kept water, lemonade and popcorn in the lobby. There were comfortable areas that you could sit, relax and drink coffee and hot tea.

Our room was clean and comfortable. It was a premium one bedroom, which had a smaller one bedroom connected to it. There was someone staying in the room next to us and we didn’t realize it until the night before we left, when I noticed the light from the TV outside our window. We enjoyed the in-room hot tub and large shower. The bed was very comfortable and there were plenty of plush pillows provided.

Room Tip: This is a great place to stay if visiting DC. The Metrorail is across the street and makes stops all...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Well kept and comfortable. But quite disappointed in NO POOL+ NO HOT TUB! Spoke to manager and got conflicting stories about what I call false advertising. The ability to use/share pool, tub, etc facilities with Hilton ended about a year ago! The Wyndham MEMBER site is accurate about this. But manager says Wyndham has been trying to get Tripadvisor and other travel sites to correct/remove official pool photos and description but does not get cooperation according to him. Tried to get room with whirlpool tub to make up for it, but was flatly refused. The main advantages of this hotel are free parking and next to King St. metro.

Room Tip: Our room facing courtyard was quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed with a family of five over spring break. The room that we got was 202. It contained a master BR with a second BR containing two full beds. Originally, they had put us in a 2 BR with only one bed in second BR. This was a problem for us since we had five folks and they fixed it quite quickly.

PROS:
-Location is diagonally across from the King St. Metro (just to the right of the Hilton as you are standing in front of the Metro). You do NOT need to rent a car if you are flying into DCA and just touring DC. The Metro takes you everywhere you want to go!
-Staff was friendly for being time share types. The "gifting" people took their "no" in stride.
-The two rooms that we saw were spacious and accommodate a family well.

CONS:
-Nasty odor just inside the front door which I hope they clear up soon.
-WiFi is slower and janky, especially on apple devices.
-The business center is all Macs which sucks if you want to use Word or Excel.
-There is NO pool. That photo is from another property.

TIPS:
-METRO: Getting a metro pass is a TWO step process. Buy the card at the small terminal with the screens. You get a card with $8 in credit for $10. Once you have the card go to the big brown machines and load it with a short-trip pass. The 7 days short trip pass is the best deal if you are just touring DC. We never had to add extra money after five days of traveling DC.
-Whole Foods is two blocks away and great for provisions. Dunkin' Donuts is immediately across the street and a Starbucks is in the Hilton lobby next door.
-Check in and Check out is strictly enforced but they will store your bags.
-King Street Trolley is a great way to get into Old Town. Ride it all the way to Washington Street. This drops you in the middle of everything. You pick it up in the parking lot with all of the buses. It is FREE.

Room Tip: Rooms 202 and the lock-off of 303/304 are great for families of 3-5.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank rossharris
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I stayed at this location for 2 days in March of 2014. Upon check in, I asked to be placed in a quiet area of the building. The staff were friendly and had good intentions and they placed me in a unit away from the train but the unit assigned to me had a door adjoining the unit next door. Unfortunately for me, I had to put up with the noise from my neighbor's television and their conversations the whole time I was there. When they had the television on (which was 80 % of the time I was awake and in my unit), it was as if I had the television on in my unit because the sound barrier between the two units was practically next to nothing with the adjoining door broadcasting every single thing coming out of the television and the conversation that took place around what was happening on screen. [For example, at one point I knew they were watching "The Help," when the woman next door happily declared that she liked how the movie was going already because they man driving the car refused to fill up gas at this gas station since the owners wouldn't let him use the restroom because he was black. See what I mean? No sound barrier whatsoever.] Thankfully, I was able to keep most of the noise out of the bedroom by closing the bedroom door, but if I wanted to hang out in the kitchen or the living room, I was virtually hearing every single thing blasted through that adjoining door. So I would have been just better off if I had booked a hotel rather than a condo. The second night I couldn't stand it anymore so I called the front desk who advised me that they will speak with the neighbors. 15 minutes later, the noise has not dimmed. I called again and spoke with the manager and he informed me that he understood where I was coming from but it was not quiet hours yet. He had no idea. If anyone would have stepped into the unit they would have known immediately this is not an issue of whether if it was quiet hours or not. Usually if someone was being loud, the noise is at lease muffled. Was the noise muffled? No. He offered to move me to the bottom floor to the the only unit available but at that time I was too tired to move plus it was my last night there and I was glad I was leaving. He did call the neighbor again, but that still didn't do much for the noise, so I closed my bedroom door, turned up the AC so that it would muffle out the noise and went to sleep. Let me repeat, I was glad to leave the next morning. If I had to choose between a regular hotel and staying at Wyndham Alexandria in the future, even if I had a discount from the timeshare association I belong to, I would opt to stay at a regular hotel.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here ask them to give you a room with no adjoining doors to the neighboring unit...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Anonymous A
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced from your neighbors. We know it is important to feel completely relaxed when on vacation and we understand this was not an ideal situation. Please be sure to contact the front desk as soon as possible so that we can move you to another unit earlier in your stay. We value your feedback and hope that you give us another chance to truly experience a wonderful vacation at our resort.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We recently stayed at the Alexandria Wyndham and really enjoyed it. I didn't give it five stars for two reasons: the individual that checked us in (Brian) was a little odd and rude. He made small talk asking where we were from, how long it took us to get there and then he became critical on how long it took us and that we drive too slow. He also questioned why anyone would visit the area in the winter with an approaching snowstorm. Brian has one job and in my opinion its to check me in and give me the info I need for a good visit. Skip the chit chat. Secondly as others have mentioned the walls area bit thin. Its not horrible, but can be noticeable.
The train station is across the street, you will notice it, but it should not deter anyone from staying here. Its a very nice place. Clean and in a great location. The Metro is right there and its only a 10 min walk to olde town, only 45 min to walk to the river. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a home facing King St. to drown out the train noise
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank hjordislakota
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful staff and fabulous rooms. Location is right next to king St metro. However, unless you like the sound of train whistle at 5:30 am EVERY morning, you might want to think elsewhere. Although, we were in room 606 overlooking train tracks, so maybe other side would have been better. Be advised, it is a timeshare property so expect the sales pitch.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stanandapril
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for my birthday and were quite pleased. It is convenient to the King St metro station and many restaurants are within walking distance. It is very clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly and accommodating. We will come back!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple