“Worth Our Wait”

Mt. Vernon Family Restaurant
Ranked #486 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Reviewed May 13, 2014

While touring Mt. Vernon, I really wanted to dine in the restaurant as an extra special treat. There were a number of school groups there--as usual, I understand--so we had a 45 minute wait to be served. We were on a fairly tight schedule because we wanted to make the 2:00 Slave Tour. Our server was very accommodating. Our meals were brought in a timely manner and we were all pleased with our selections. The Shrimp and Grits dish was wonderful. It was not spicy, as most are; but it had great flavor. My brother ordered the chicken pot pie and was totally complimentary. The grilled chicken sandwich with pesto sounded wonderful also; but we were advised that ordering this would increase the amount of time required for our food to be delivered. We appreciated the time-consciousness of our waitress.
We enjoyed the ambiance, the food and the service. If time permits, give this place a try.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

rated in Mt. Vernon review. Worth the stop for a really good peanut soup! Yah peanut soup. A must try, unless you're allergic.

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying the ambience and the service were great. My husband liked his duck cassoulet. But I not impressed by the peanut soup or the turkey salad sandwich, which was the special. The worst part was the horrid desserts. They were all very obviously commercially prepared. However the cider was good and so was the fried green tomatoes appetizer. My suggestion is give it a try but avoid the desserts.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Run, don't walk, to this restaurant. I had a beef pie with the best pie crust I've ever tasted. My Mom had the chicken pie, which is really a thick chicken soup with a big biscuit on top. Also, the bread pudding is one of the best I've ever had!

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Our experience here was as advertised! Great food, especially the peanut chestnut soup! Great service and reasonable prices. There is something on the menu for all ages so don't hesitate to take your kids. This was the authentic Mt. Vernon experience we were looking for so pay no attention to any bad reviews you see.

1  Thank Matthew C