“My favorite restaurant for oriental food”

Peking Duck Restaurant
Ranked #169 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Have been enjoying oriental food here for years. I have never found a oriental food that I enjoy more. Yes, decor could be update but this doesn't affect the food. Service is always friendly and good. Price is certainly right.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Whenever we have a hankering for Peking duck, we come here. It is only for Peking Duck, I give 4 stars. The rest of the Chinese food are basic stuff one can get at average Chinese restaurants. I used to go to Duck Chang in Annandale but when a branch opened here, we started to go here. Can't beat the juiciness of the meat as well as the crispness of the skin. The scallions are fresh and sweet sauce is just right. The pan cakes are thin enough. We usually order half a duck and that will fill our stomache for both of us. This is good value for money. Perhaps things have changed in Beijing but both in 90s and early '00, didn't think duck was not to my liking. One place was quite famous with all the photos of famous people who visited but duck was rather dry. So, we still like Peking Duck here.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

The first time I tried peking duck was at this restaurant. They have never been busy when I go by (which makes me wonder how much business they receive). I have ordered the duck a few times, but I wish they would deliver it. Since they don't I have found another place just as good that does deliver.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Ate here last more than 15 years ago. Had a little family group of 7 and wanted Chinese food. My mother-in-law always liked their food. Outside, the building exterior hasn't changed nor has the interior. However, service and food were delicious. The Peking duck was very tasty and well presented. Do not be deterred by the surroundings. Although the place was empty on a Thursday evening when we arrived, it was obvious locals showed up and sought the place specifically for their choice of Chinese food. A good evening had by all.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

I've never noticed this place before until I saw the Sunday Buffet sign as I drove by. Perhaps it should have drawn my attention when I saw the parking lot was empty in an area where there are several Sunday Buffets that do a thriving business. When I walked in the door, the place was empty and the lady acting as hostess actually seemed surprised when I appeared. "Can I help you?" "Well, yes, I'm here for the Sunday Buffet."

I don't go to buffets so often in this area, but when I do, it's for the speed and convenience of being able to serve yourself exactly what you want, taking perhaps a number of very small portions of different things to sample. It was explained to me that this was a "table side buffet", where they actually bring the items to your table. I still didn't quite understand the concept, but decided to wait and see how it went.

It went terrible. After a while a waitress came and asked me what kind of soup I wanted. I didn't want soup, thank you very much. After ten more minutes, she returned bringing a plate with one each of the three featured appetizers: an egg roll, fake-crab tempura, and a fried chicken wing. All were basically bland and tasteless, nothing to inspire asking for seconds, which were never offered anyway. Another ten minutes and I was ready to leave a couple of dollars on the table and walk out when finally the waitress appeared again bringing a bowl of fried rice and minuscule portions of three entrees, promising to be right back with the sweet-and-sour pork, which I told her I didn't care for. (She did show up bringing it anyway, so I suspect there was some language barrier at work, along with the other problems.)

The entrees were not worth waiting for. The fried rice was undoubtedly the most unexceptional I've ever been served. The Singapore noodles did have a couple of fragments of some unidentified substance mixed in, but were basically just unflavored noodles. The Kung Pao chicken was the only item I tasted that was flavored at all, and they had gone overboard to the point that it was strong and bitter. The beef broccoli was palatable, so I cleaned up that portion and left the rest of everything else.

Somewhere at this point, the hostess approached to ask if everything was all right. I responded that I was not enjoying this at all, but instead of inquiring further or asking if they could bring something else, she simply turned and walked away.

It should be noted that in this whole time, I was the only person in the 90-seat dining room. Maybe this was the first day they've ever had the "buffet", and it needs some tweaking to get it right. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt on that. Maybe food ordered off the menu would be an entirely different experience. I don't know what the problem was, but I won't be returning.

If you've read any of my other reviews, you'll see I'm not a hard person to please. Most are quite favorable, and I like finding positive things to accentuate. I hate to write negative reviews, but unless something changes, this place will soon be out of business.