“Outstanding Dining Experience”
Review of Wharf Restaurant

Wharf Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Wharf Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 770 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Transit: Free trolley from Metro stop to the Wharf and transit stop 1 block from restaurant.
Description: History has been written inside the walls of the Wharf, with its 1790's style architecture featuring original wood columns and beams that are charred black from a Civil War fire. Since 1971, satisfied diners have been heading to The Wharf in Old Town for whole Maine lobster, local soft shell crabs and prime steaks and chops. The restaurant has recently been renovated and remodeled and the menu updated to include many contemporary seafood items along with their traditional Chesapeake Bay creations. Our 2nd floor Dining Room is perfect for Banquets and Private Parties. Can seat up to 60 people.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

This was the second visit in 30 years for me, and if anything the place has gotten better. I ordered the Seafood Platter so that I could taste several items and My wife ordered the Crabcakes. We began with a delicious bowl of She Crab Soup, which blended crab, cream and other ingredients for a finished product that makes my mouth water just remembering it. The Crabcakes were right on target, the scallops were fresh and delicate, the fish was flakey with a light breading, the fried oysters were also fresh and tender (not chewy), and all I can say in summary is that taking the great service into consideration, this was right at the top of my lifetime list of outstanding dinners.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Best meal I had on my business trip - crab topped halibut over creamy spinach (daily special). The portion was very generous, perfectly cooked and well seasoned. While on the pricey side (considering the portions those with me got), we all enjoyed our meal. I'd recommend for a special occasion.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

One of the best Choppino I've ever tasted....large scallops, clams, fish, medium size prawns and deep fried calamari....yummy (I believe all the seafood were fresh, not a hint of previously frozen). My wife had the seafood pasta which was also better than average..
Two meals plus two alcoholic beverage costing around 50 is a great deal for the quality of food you are getting.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

A co-worker and I ate dinner here while at a convention at the Gaylord National. It was a very quaint little place and would be a nice, romantic spot for a couple. I had the filet and crab cakes which was very good. The steak was cooked perfectly. It would have been nice if they served a salad with the meal for the price. My co-worker had stuffed chesapeake flounder, which was excellent. The waiters were always there with more bread and water. I would definitely go back again if in the area.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have eaten at The Wharf frequently over the last 15 years, and our last visit was typical of our past experiences: we had excellent seafood, with great service by a very pleasant and knowledgeable waiter (Gilberto), in a very charming venue. My calamari appetizer and grilled tuna main course were both delicious. My table mates also enjoyed their appetizers; both of them had the Norfolk combination plate and found it delightful. We had the chance before dinner to rediscover the small bar, which, despite its cramped dimensions, made for a delightful watering hole as we waited for our table. We definitely plan to return when next we visit Alexandria.

Been to Wharf Restaurant? Share your experiences!