“Best Food in Old Town...by far!!!!!!”
Review of Restaurant Eve

Restaurant Eve
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Eve is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 755 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Healthy
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King Street
Transit: King Street Metro. Trolley it from King Street Metro- The free trolley will operate seven days a week from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Approximately every 20 minutes, riders can board at the King Street Metro, near the Waterfront, or at one of many other stops. The closest stop to the restaurant is one block away, at King and St. Asaph Streets.
Description: Restaurant Eve has one intention: to bring everything together in perfect harmony-ingredients, cooking techniques, presentation, and that ephemeral, indescribable characteristic that we call soulfulness. We purchase from farms that share our values of quality and sustainability, and showcase the best hand-fed, farm-raised, organically grown bounty Virginia and the surrounding countryside have to offer. Herbs and fruits are gathered from our own garden and everything on our menu has a story, every ingredient is special. From the various offerings of house-made products (which include 7-9 various breads baked daily and artisanal cheeses); to the roster of craft cocktails, by cocktail authority Todd Thrasher; to our carefully chosen ingredients, everything signals a seriousness and reverence for the farmers, crafters, and all the culinary professionals who wish to bring you beautiful food. Restaurant Eve, named after the husband and wife duo's first child, is located in Old Town, Alexandria, listed by many travel sites as one of the most romantic towns in America, 10 minutes from Washington DC, Restaurant Eve is housed in a late 1800's historic warehouse that has been converted into a charming and sophisticated destination. The cobblestone path leading to the restaurant's entrance is lined with candles that set the tone of what is to come. Inside, the space is simultaneously stylish, cozy and refined-a place where special occasions are fondly remembered.
Washington, DC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Food in Old Town...by far!!!!!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2006

Anyone who knows anything about good food knows that Restaurant Eve is the best thing going for those of us lucky enough to call Alexandria home. Cathal Armstrong, the chef/owner of this quaint little establishment, never cuts corners on his cuisine. Every ingredient is top quality, usually locally produced, and almost always organic. Chef Armstrong changes the menu often to reflect those ingredients that are at the peak of their flavor each season. I've had exotic fish, expertly prepared lamb, and perfect beef ribeyes a la bordelaise. I've enjoyed sides such as galette of potatoes, new spring brussel sprouts, and sauteed fresh spinach. Don't forget the fine selection of artisanal cheeses at the end of the meal, unless you have a sweet tooth, my wife tells me the desserts are wonderful too. The flavor combinations that come to those lucky enough to get a seat in this restaurant are nothing short of mouth-watering. And for the oenophiles, the wine list is very, very good. For my tastebuds, there is no place within the city limits that you can get a finer wine by the glass or bottle. I've been several times, the service has always been spectacular, and the food to die for. You would be an idiot if you came to this town and didn't eat here...period!

1 Thank FunAndSolo

Alexandria, Virginia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 30, 2005

My husband and I chose to have a farewell dinner with two close friends at this restaurant because we had heard such good things about it. What a disappointing experience it was. In all fairness, the bread was outstanding, as was the coffee. The service was good up until the end when the coffee seemed to take foreover to arrive. We were debating at the table whether the wait was intentional pacing or just neglect.

The problem with the meal overall is that everything was way to rich (you could feel the arteries beginning to clog immediately), and there was not a single green thing to act as a foil to the fat. For example, my very tasty rib eye had a piece of bone marrow on top and was served with a very heavy potato gallette that was swimming in butter. The gallette was topped with small bits of overbrowned garlic that were slightly bitter. How I craved a simple sauteed spinach or some other bitter green to provide a contrast to the fat! There were no greens on the menu at all other than a CREAMED spinach. The only salad offering was a beet salad.

My friend had the braised pork belly which he said was good but like eating butter. That came with a couple of vegetables underneath, but again not the kind that would cut the fat. My other friend and I had originally attempted to order the special, leg of lamb, only to be told 10 minutes later that they were already out of it (we had a 9 p.m. reservation).

The mussels with green curry was OK. However, the mussels were a bit small and there was the occasional extra fishy mussel in the bowl. I would have expected better at a restaurant of this supposed caliber and price. My friends had fried dumplings filled with pineapple and served with ice cream. I thought the dumpling needed some kind of sauce -- caramel or chocolate -- to make it complete. They said the pinapple "wonton" was tough to chew.

My husband had some hilarious comments on the wine list which he found "confused." He wanted to know why there were california wines listed under the Bordeaux section! We did not summon the somelier, however, not wanting to ruin the evening with any complaints.

Anyway, we are definitely not coming back to this place. It simply wasn't that great.

4 Thank minhnvu2014
A TripAdvisor Member
“Fabulous”
Reviewed July 27, 2005

We celebrated my husband's birthday in their tasting room. While it was certainly one of the most expensive meals we have ever had, it was also one of the best. Service, food, wine - all top notch.

Falls Church, Virginia
“Sadly Disappointed by Eve”
Reviewed May 5, 2005

My husband and I arrived at Eve one Saturday night expecting to enjoy an elegant anniversary dinner in the Tasting Room. Instead, we were seated in the Bistro, where we were the hostess was not gracious at all in explaining that even though the reservationist did not tell us we would be in the Bistro, we should never have expected to be in the Tasting Room because “it fills up a month in advance”. Shortly after, we were literally rained on through a leaky skylight. Not only did the hostess not offer to make amends, she did not even apologize. After expressing disappointment in our treatment, we were given Champagne, but then clearly overheard the hostess and servers badmouthing our table.

While the food was pretty good, it was quite expensive and presented in very small portions for a "bistro" (my husband's $14 appetizer was one single scallop). The bread was so tough we could not eat it and my entrée plate was too hot to be touched. I also couldn’t help but notice other guests frequently looking around for their server.

This restaurant that asks each patron if they are celebrating a special occasion when the reservation is taken. They should behave as though they deserve the status of a "special occasion" restaurant. Instead, the combination of Restaurant Eve’s arrogant attitude and mediocre service made our “special dinner” a sad disappointment.

I'm sure that not everyone who dines at Eve will have a negative experience like we did, but the lack of professionalism displayed at this restaurant would prevent me from ever trying it again or recommending it.

6 Thank MrsNovakknowsfood
Sandia Park, New Mexico
“Restaurant Eve Heavenly”
Reviewed March 23, 2005

This is a wonderful bistro in the heart of old town Alexandria. The moment you walk in the door you are surrounded by competent, happy people. You can tell the employees like their jobs. The food is first rate (some of the best duck I have ever eaten and one of the top five desserts of my life with the apple fritter). Great wine pairings and sweet surroundings. You will return many times.

2 Thank Ben W