“Great Experience, But....”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: King Street
Transit: King Street Metro. Trolley it from King Street Metro- The free trolley will operate seven days a week from 11:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Approximately every 20 minutes, riders can board at the King Street Metro, near the Waterfront, or at one of many other stops. The closest stop to the restaurant is one block away, at King and St. Asaph Streets.
Description: Restaurant Eve has one intention: to bring everything together in perfect harmony-ingredients, cooking techniques, presentation, and that ephemeral, indescribable characteristic that we call soulfulness. We purchase from farms that share our values of quality and sustainability, and showcase the best hand-fed, farm-raised, organically grown bounty Virginia and the surrounding countryside have to offer. Herbs and fruits are gathered from our own garden and everything on our menu has a story, every ingredient is special. From the various offerings of house-made products (which include 7-9 various breads baked daily and artisanal cheeses); to the roster of craft cocktails, by cocktail authority Todd Thrasher; to our carefully chosen ingredients, everything signals a seriousness and reverence for the farmers, crafters, and all the culinary professionals who wish to bring you beautiful food. Restaurant Eve, named after the husband and wife duo's first child, is located in Old Town, Alexandria, listed by many travel sites as one of the most romantic towns in America, 10 minutes from Washington DC, Restaurant Eve is housed in a late 1800's historic warehouse that has been converted into a charming and sophisticated destination. The cobblestone path leading to the restaurant's entrance is lined with candles that set the tone of what is to come. Inside, the space is simultaneously stylish, cozy and refined-a place where special occasions are fondly remembered.
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My wife and I, along with two other couples recently dined at Restaurant Eve. Once there, we found the physical facilities to be very charming and "comfortably" sophisticated. The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming to our party and we were immediately shown to our table. The staff was thoroughly pleasant and the restaurant was amply staffed. Every request was positively received and acted on very quickly. Every dish served could only be described as a work of art. Every item was created from the very freshest ingredients. Creativity seems to be the word at this establishment. This restaurant is not inexpensive, and consequently my comments that are less than complimentary are a bit surprising. The reservation process is daunting to say the least. I requested a mid-week seating on the phone and was told that there was a table available. But then the process went down hill. I was emailed a booking confirmation form that I was required to fill out, sign, and send back. This form also required a credit card number that would be used if someone reneged on the agreement. I was not about to email my credit card number to a reservationist, and was told that I would be called so that I could pass the number directly to the restaurant without faxes or emails. I agreed. It took two weeks of emails and finally another call by me to reach the reservationist to complete the booking...a lot of work for one dinner out. On the evening we visited, once seated, when asked, our waiter said that we could have separate checks. At the end of the meal, he would only divide the total bill into three which did not match his first comment and was unfair to those who ate or drank less. The restaurant was very overheated. I found myself perspiring for the entire experience - this was echoed by others in our party. Small butter servings accompanied the initial bread service, however, no butter was provided for the second round of bread. The restaurant isn't spending much money on ice, since all water was served at room temperature - a fact that was most unpleasant to me personally. Admittedly, I didn't make an issue of it and ask for ice - my bad. We had to ask for salt and pepper. I asked for an extra scoop of ice cream on my dessert and didn't receive it. One of us asked about espresso and was told yes, only to have the waiter return to tell us that the espresso machine was out of order. None of these items individually is a deal-breaker, but taken as a whole, they left me, in particular, feeling a bit disappointed. Of course I could have asked (as I did for salt and pepper) for more butter, ice in my water, the promised second scoop, but a guest in a restaurant of this caliber shouldn't have to. The overall impression was that Restaurant Eve is a wonderful experience, with really good food, but....

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Beautiful little inn.We were celebrating our anniversary and had good things about Restaurant Eve. We decided to go for lunch as the menu is a bit pricey. The service is attentive and careful, but not formal. Felt well-cared for. The entrees are classic, but with a contemporary flair and a lot of attention to detail. Seafood stew was unbelievably good. Good balance of seasonings. The salmon was crispy (yum!) perfectly seasoned and prepared. The food presentation was very well done. I would definitely return and might even spring for dinner.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Eve is a special establishment which you will enjoy! The atmosphere is intimate and cozy. The food was beautifully presented and extremely tasty. The menu was diverse and the wine list was varied and outstanding.
I had heard that the table staff were snooty but I did not find this to be true. In fact, our table staff was very down to earth and helpful. I would go back to Eve in a quick minute!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

We stumbled upon Eve while wandering around Old Town one night. The small hidden walkway to the restaurant is enchanting and feels like you've discovered a treasure so we nicknamed it the Secret Garden The restaurant feels like you're having dinner at someone's country house but the service and customers make it feel less homey. Be sure to make a reservation.

We started in the bar and ordered a round of drinks. The drinks were beautifully made and their taste reflected the effort. I would recommend the Islandy, which is basically a tropical cocktail with a hint of cinnamon. I don't normally drink tequila but this drink hid it so well, I thought it was a rum drink.

We did the Tasting Menu, which is a 5-6 course meal that tends to change. The first dish was a hamachi with mustard green panna cotta and beet vinaigrette. The purees and sauces made this dish amazingly flavorful--my favorite by far. The rest of the dishes were standard and predictable to your palette, a scallop dish, filet of dover, veal sweetbreads (my husband called this the glorified chicken nugget), a beef dish and dessert.

Overall the food and service was good. If all the dishes had the same wow factor as the hamachi, Eve would get higher marks. Also, while it felt like 5-star service in their actions, the words felt otherwise. I had some questions about different dishes and where I feel other waiters would indulge in my culinary curiosity, our waiter answered the questions in a robotic manner and moved on to his next task. Finally, if you don't feel comfortable in overly stuffy places, Eve is probably not for you.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I lunched at Eve yesterday with 6 friends, all retired gormands who know their food & wine well. We felt that Eve is not up to its previous standards. The wait staff seemed ill informed (we were told a cheese plate was not available, only to have that reversed later...almost too late), the Basque stew was over salted for several of us, and the sommelier seemed distracted and less than well informed (his suggestions for a follow-on to the one bottle of Sancerre we requested left in the cellar were unimpressive, and his suggestions for a replacement for the one red from the online wine list we wanted were pedestrian at best). Our coffee was also served in advance of the sweets and the cheese platter...which should never happen even given some confusion with orders and a a less than A-Team wait staff. We plan to give Eve a hiatus of many months to recover their earlier lunch-time level of performance.