“Pleasant Surprise”

Laporta's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Laporta's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 765 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dangerfield
Transit: King Street Metro one block away
Description: Laporta's restaurant is the ideal place for extraordinary food in a casual, comfortable setting. Laporta's has an attentively serviced contemporary dining room perfect for a romantic evening out or any other special occasion, combined with an adjoining intimate Jazz lounge. Relax and listen to the live jazz featured nightly. The lounge has the warmth and friendly feel of a local's bar yet with the same excellence of service and consistency of food quality that defines our dining room and exemplifies the restaurant as a whole. The menu features inventive fresh seafoods and hearty pastas complemented by the provincial-style desserts of Margaret Laporta. New outdoor terrace with dining daily until 11pm. DOG friendly!
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We were fearful is this our first visit to Laporta's since most of our other visits to restaurants in Old Town Alexandria had not lived up to recommendations and published reviews. We were more than pleasantly surprised when we both had imaginative and well prepared dinners served by an attentive staff in a comfortable setting. The field green salad was generous, tasty and not over dressed; just the right touch. Even better was the bread basket that had an assortment of European style rolls and bread; equal to best we have experienced anywhere in DC area. Things were looking up. There is a nice wine list. For other reasons we could not drink any alcohol that evening. The two main course were a seafood/pasta special and a regular seafood/pasta dish that was on the normal menu. Both were quite different but each was excellent and imaginative. Again, each dish was not oversauced and in both the ingredients fresh and generous. A wonderful dessert sampler for two topped the evening. All in all a very good meal. We will return. Laporta's has live jazz music. Usually I do not like this since musicians tend to play as if they were being paid by the decibel making any conversation impossible. However the jazz was quiet and unobtrusive; altogether rather pleasant. It and other small touches plus the food quality reinforced our decision to return. My 4-star rating is about the best I will deliver. Five stars are only for the "crème de la crème" and very very rare.

1  Thank PRR
There are newer reviews for Laporta's Restaurant

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Don't expect a good table if you make a reservation. My friend and I had dinner reservations for 6 PM this evening. A half hour into our meal, two tables were pushed together next to us in order to seat a walk-in party of five. I objected to the manager but he ignored me. In order to talk to the 'party of five', the waitress had to squeeze in between our tables. Her backside was literally hanging over the edge of our table! The manager refused to come over and talk to us about this. Totally unappetizing - we ended the evening early. As for the food, the salmon was overdone, the rice was chewy and broccoli overcooked. This was a very disappointing dining experience right before the holidays!

Reviewed December 15, 2013

Recently we had the pleasure of hosting a dinner party for 14 people at Laporta's on Duke Street in Alexandria, VA. The occasion was a special birthday for my wife. We arranged ahead of time to use the private room at the back of the main restaurant.

The table was beautifully set up for with seasonal decorations and flowers. We supplemented with candles and flowers. The restaurant did a beautiful set up for us!

Laporta's is a family-run restaurant that has been in the same location since 1986. Ralph and Mary are Laporta's who did an excellent job for us on this occasion! Paul, the head waiter, was very gracious, friendly and competent!

The food was outstanding. We offered three items for guests to choose from for a main dish. The filet mignon and the salmon were the most popular and were well enjoyed. The appetizers, wine, and desserts were excellent.

If you are going to have a special occasion, you may want to call Laporta's and talk to Mary. She will give you a lot of time and set everything in motion as you have selected. She had assured us about music not being a problem but unfortunately it was a problem.

I have one suggestion. The dinner party was in a private area adjacent to the main restaurant.
It was mostly closed with indoor folding screens but our guests at the end of the table adjacent to the main restaurant had lots of trouble hearing when the band began to play. The music was way too loud. The room needs to be entirely closed off and you need to emphasize the point specificall with Mary at the planning stage.

But the bottom line was that everyone enjoyed the food and the restaurant did a spectacular job in setting the room up and serving! I would recommend you enjoy this restaurant and have a private party here if you receive assurance about the band music.

1  Thank VAChuck
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Loved it! I went here for my birthday and it was perfect for a nice, relaxing birthday with my mom.

ATMOSPHERE: While the outside looks like a small cafe, the inside was very elegant. There was a live pianist and the music added an extra touch to the restaurant's ambiance.

PRICES: The prices were pretty good for what we got. My mom and I ordered a $28.99 couples deal which included a glass of wine (we decided to do the half-off bottle of wine option) and 2 entrées. However, I don't remember how reasonable the prices were outside of the couples deal.

FOOD: The food was delicious. My mom and I ordered salmon which came with a side of brussel sprouts. The sauce on the salmon was a little awkward, but I thought the salmon was good. However, my mom, who is a salmon connoisseur, thought the salmon wasn't fresh. The cheesecake was DELICIOUS.

SERVICE: The waiter was extremely friendly and made a point to make my birthday as special as he could - even asking the pianist to play Skyfall for my birthday. He also helped us chose a wine for us and it was PERFECT.

If you're in Alexandria, this is a nice break away from all the sandwich and coffee shops and I would definitely recommend it.

1  Thank Jessica A
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We attended a presentation which included a meal, but took advantage of the Happy Hour first.
The bar was naturally crowded at a time when drinks were half price, including premium beers, but the service was up to the job and good-natured. Like many better restaurants they have discovered that craft beers are an attraction, and the servers no longer have to go through the "Bud, Bud Light, Miller Light...." chant when beers such as Heavy Seas Loose Cannon are on offer. We enjoyed our dinners - the selection was salmon, chicken or pasta but each was creatively presented and perfectly prepared.

1  Thank jocripps