“Nice place”
Review of House of Dynasty

House of Dynasty
Ranked #47 of 770 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Service and food were both good. The prices are ok for what you get, I would hope that the food is more authentic. The decor is a bit different than you expect but has nice elements. Best Chinese food in the area.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My son and I dined here on a college visit. We were looking for an alternative to all the noisy, over-priced DC restaurants with "attitude".

This is a fairly upscale Chinese restaurant: tablecloths, cloth napkins, professionally dressed waitstaff, great atmosphere, pleasant music, etc. It would be a great place to take a second or third date - assuming your date could look past the nondescript strip mall location.

The entrees were very good, indeed. My General Tso's chicken was moist, flavorful, and beautifully presented. while my son's Orange Flavor Beef was "OMG Freaking Amazing!" This dish is my son's long-standing favorite, and the House of Dynasty version was easily the BEST version we have ever had, anywhere.

On the other hand, the Pu Pu platter appetizer was mediocre at best. Run-of-the-mill battered shrimp. "okay" steak teriyaki, two teeny, tiny barbecue ribs (each all of 1 1/2 inches long). and DREADFUL fried chicken wings, that tasted like the Fryolator oil hadn't been changed in years.

Food prices were reasonable, but the beverage prices were screwy. I started with a martini, then had a beer with my entree. The martini was on the small side and eminently forgettable, but reasonably priced at $5.95. The beer menu was VERY limited: Bud, Miller Light, Heineken, and Tsing Tao. I opted for the Tsing Tao, which was crisp and cold, but really over-priced at $5.75. (The beer choices and prices are not shown anywhere on the menu).

As others have noted, a thimble full of lemon sorbet is served between courses, as are hot towels. But unless you spring for one of the fairly pricey deserts, your meal ends with one generic fortune cookie per person.

House of Dynasty is a "pretty good" Chinese restaurant. But with a couple of tweaks it could be a GREAT Chinese restaurant.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

What a great experience. An innocent looking place in an out of the way strip mall. Inside, it was well designed and spread out so you able to relax. The hostess and waiter were funny and personable - they went out of their way to welcome us. The food was fantastic. Highly recommended. Excellent value as well - My buddy and I were hungry and ate everything - plus drinks. With tip we did not get to $80 bucks. And we ate a lot...

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Don't need to go into any length. The food is fine, tasty. It seemed to us to be Americanized Chinese Food. (To satisfy the palate of a non-Chinese American). Nothing wrong with that; we just prefer something more authentic. The restaurant did have a few items you won't find at a typical carryout, which is also a plus.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

The food and service are both excellent. It's unfortunate that little competition exists in this area for Chinese food but this place does have great food at a good fair price.