“Stereotyping”

IHOP
Ranked #171 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had a decent meal for the four of us with a respectable waiter who brought our food in a reasonable amount of time. That in itself should be worth four stars for a normal review, but...

Here's why I gave it one star. My wife is deaf and does not speak at all, and when we arrived, she motioned to the gentleman at the front that there were four of us that would be seating. He took us to the very back, to a section that had about 12 tables that were partially closed off by a half-wall separating from the main dining area of about 25-30 tables. We were the only ones placed in this back section with about 6 of the tables being used to store syrup racks/rolled up utensils in napkins, while only about half of the tables in the main dining area were used. This raised eyebrows for us, but decided to wait and see.

After a while, other people arriving were all placed in the main dining area which just confirmed our suspicions that the host placed us in the back solely because my wife and I were deaf - I always see it as a major personal affront when certain groups (i.e. disabled, black, Asian, etc.) are singled out for special treatment when it's not asked for, or are segregated from the rest for whatever reason. I'm aware of the stereotype associated with various groups, including, yes, the deaf community, but restaurants should be above painting with a wide brush without giving the person a chance.

Fortunately, the waiter did his job well and did not allow the stereotyping bias of the host to influence his job, and I tipped him well for his service. However, any restaurant that clearly shows a bias or stereotypes a group is going to get ONE star from me every single time. That this should happen in a place a stone's throw from the city where the largest post-secondary institution for the deaf in the world is located and a place where countless thousands of people have stood up for the rights of others (including the 50th anniversary of MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech just being held a day earlier!) is rather appalling. It was not a pleasant feeling sitting there watching table after table being filled in the main dining area after we had arrived and was placed at the very back of the restaurant on our own. A shame.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My fiancé and I are super casual and just love IHOP because its just consistently good, regardless of what you get. This place is the best IHOP around. Very clean and in a good location.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

After waiting 40 minutes for our food (AFTER we ordered) we watched people come in, order, eat and leave before we finaly got the managers attanetion. Then they brought us cold panckaes and raw bacon....serriously?? The manager just said we'll comp the meal...comp WHAT? We couldn't eat it! lol...don't waste your time.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

This IHOP is in a boxy building in the Potomac Yards parking lot, and doesn['t look like a typical IHOP from the outside. In fact, I had been to the shopping center many times before ever realizing it was there, since it's poorly signed. Inside, however, if's very typical. I was given a friendly greeting and seated quickly. Service was fast and friendly. The Colorado omelet was good enough, though not spectacular. Accompanied by fruit (my choice) which was a poor choice, since it was mostly melon, which was mostly flavorless.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 13, 2008

Their service was really rude to me when I dined alone, went to the bathroom, and they removed my half-eaten meal and given the table to a family.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to IHOP? Share your experiences!