“Great comfort food all day long”

Murphy's Grand Irish Pub
Ranked #6 of 768 Restaurants in Alexandria
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Murphy's Grand Irish Pub is located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. This authentic Irish Pub was opened by friends and family with a passion for their Irish heritage and the desire to bring traditional Irish food and entertainment to their community at affordable prices. Since 1978 people have been meeting at Murphy's to enjoy hearty meals and an energy and atmosphere that puts everyone who enters in a good mood. Enjoy nightly Irish entertainment with no cover charge, lively Trivia Nights with exciting prizes, sporting events on multiple flat screen tvs, daily food and drink specials, and other events happening year round. Our second floor is available for private parties and events for up to 120 people and we are happy to work with groups to personalize the experience to ensure that all guests have a memorable time.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Murphy's is the place my business partner and I go for all of our business meetings. The food is always good and the service is very reliable. We are always made to feel welcome at Murphy's.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

First time back since I use to live in Alexandria nearly 30 years ago. Couldn't wait to take my wife to Murphy's. Food was fair at best. The décor was worn, speakers hanging near the stage were so dirty, needs some attention to detail.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Let me start this review by saying, it pains me to write a 1 star review on a pub that I once was a regular at 3 years ago, when I lived in Old Town.

Last week I was in town on business and had some family come up from Southern VA to meet me over the weekend. We had a wonderful dinner across the street on Friday at Geranio Ristorante, and wanted to finish our night with some laughter, Irish songs and of course beer! All of which Murphy's had historically offered.

My girlfriend and I approached the door with her parents. They were both let through without being carded, rightfully so. My girlfriend then presented her VA license and was let through. I presented my Maine licenses as was told to step aside. I asked why and was shouted at with a response of, "You know I get $20 bucks for every fake ID right!!?"

I responded "Well, no I didn't know that, but that isn't a fake ID and I haven't been 21 in quite a few years." The man behind me was stationed in Maine and presented a ME license as well. What are the odds??He was let through...

The bouncer was a tall and overweight bald man that was clearly trying to feel important. He felt the need to tell me he was a Marine. I responded by saying, "I'm a veteran too, in fact I have a Military endorsement on the back of my license." He said "Yeah right, I know this is a fake and you are no veteran."

I can't tell you how degrading it is to hear that from someone who has no idea what my service entailed and on Veteran's Day weekend too.

Without him even asking, I pulled several debit cards, credit cards and even my work ID out. He wouldn't even look at them and told me he would only accept something with my birthday and government issued. I'm sorry, but like most people I don't walk around with my passport...

The bouncer continued to try and "Scan" my ID with some sort of app on his iPhone 4.. After 15 minutes of standing outside in the cold, listening to the bouncer tell everyone that came up after me that he had caught me trying to sneak in and that I was just mad, I told him I was calling the police. Which I did.

As the movie like scene played out, my phone died while being connected to the non-emergency number in Old Town. As I was waiting to be connected, he said "I still don't have to let you in regardless of what they say". At this point I just wanted my license back, as I was on business and couldn't go through airport security on Sunday without it. He left the door for a few minutes with my ID in hand and returned to just walk by me and went next door to another bar.

An older man was now at the door. I asked him if we was a manager and he responded, "I am one of the owners." I started to tell him what was going on, and he cut me off and said, "I am aware and he is just doing his job. He is paid to cover my but. Virginia is very strict and send undercover officers here all the time to try and get fakes past the door."

I responded "That may be so, but I have done nothing wrong, my family is waiting for me, I've been here for over 20 minutes, I've been mocked and called a liar and that I am no Veteran- I told your bouncer I will call the police to have them clear this up."

The owner responded with the most mind-boggling response imaginable.. "Yea ya see the thing is I can't really go off of what the Police say, it doesn't really hold up in court." WHAT?

Before I could even respond, the bouncer returns fuming from next door, doesn't look me in the eye and says, "I was able to get it to scan next door..." and then basically through my ID at me.

This is the longest review I have ever written but the story needed to be told. I will not be returning and neither will any of my family, friends or fellow Vets that I have spoken to about this.

Any place of business that wants to mock and degrade a Veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom, doesn't deserve to be in business.

4  Thank brooklynmusicman
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Never tried the food, but the beer was good! Stopped here on a Saturday night about 10:30 pm after dinner in Olde Towne Alexandria. The place was jumping - - all the tables full, and two deep at the bar. They had a musician in the ground floor bar (we did not go upstairs) who was playing guitar and singing some great songs. Crowd sang along on about half the songs, and everyone was very friendly. We had planned to stay for just one drink, but eventually found a table and stayed for three drinks voer the next two hours or so. Walking distance to all the Alexandria hotels, a great beer selection on tap, friendly people, great music, . . . we'll be back!

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were staying nearby and stopped in for a beer late Sat evening after a cross country flight. Place was packed, entertainer was singing and joking with the audience. Service was terrific even though it was crowded. Returned 3 more times while in town. Many beers to choose from and delicious food from steak to stew. Was a fun addition to our vacation.