“A good time, good food. Average.”
Review of La Costa Del Sol & Las Tapas - CLOSED

La Costa Del Sol & Las Tapas
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Washington St.
Transit: Free King Street Trolley, serving King Street from the Potomac River waterfront to the King Street Metro station from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I have mixed feelings and reservations about this restaurant. The best way I can describe it is that it was average, but I haven't closed the door to not going again.

Pros:
-Beautiful decor and atmosphere
-Attentive servers
-Options for formal dining/dining in the bar
-Reasonable prices
-Hookah available upon request
-Live band/dancing area

Cons:
-If you are dining in the bar area, your food will be ruined by smoke
-The bathroom was upstairs
-They don't disclose of the mandatory gratuity on parties
-The food wasn't piping hot when it was placed on the table (a big deal if you're eating fish)

Overall, I went out with my husband and friends and we had a great time, but primarily because we were in a group. If I had this meal alone and in the formal area, I wouldn't have been pleased at all. The wine was nice and the restaurant itself was classy. The one thing that I really will ding this place on is that mandatory gratuity was not disclosed on the check when it was given to the table. And as the story goes, the person paying had a bit much to drink and naturally paid a 20% above what was charged. Any good establishment would have done the right thing and said something to him to make sure that was the correct amount. (I say this because he is a regular and the bill was over $800!!)

There are newer reviews for La Costa Del Sol & Las Tapas

Reviewed December 30, 2011

We are locals and have been to many of the restaurants in Old Town Alexandria. We were in Spain last Spring and were craving tapas. This was our first visit to Las Tapas. We went with two other couples. Stayed almost three hours, though both flamenco performances and had a great time. The restaurant was packed -- mostly groups of couples, but some large birthday groups. Service was good, friendly, polite. Wine and sangria were about $6/glass. Very large selection of tapas offerings. At our table, we all ordered something different and everyone was very pleased with what they received. We also ordered paella and were warned that it takes about 30 minutes to prepare and that the portion is enough for two people to share. We had a great time and there was NEVER any suggestion that we should hurry or give up the table to another diner. Reservations are probably a good idea.

Reviewed December 22, 2011

We ordered 3 smaller dishes, kabobs, pork and calamari. Calamari was rubbery, kabobs all tasted the same (even though some were beef and some were chicken), pork was good. Ordered 3 more smaller dishes, 2 shrimp and 1 octopus. Those were wonderful. So we are not sure if something was going on in the kitchen for round 1 or if things here are simply hit or miss.

Based on previous reviews, it may be the "hit or miss" option. Other places in Old Town Alexandria to eat that are consistently very good, so I'd skip it next time.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

Nice place to have tapas. Enjoyed our meal here. The waiter was good. Live music, but we didn't stay long enough.

Reviewed August 24, 2011

OK, Las Tapas is not Jaleo, but it is good, fairly priced and in a convenient location on King Street a block from our hotel. It was fairly quiet on an August Monday night, but we were not the only ones there. After we ordered, our dishes came out quickly. The best was the veal stuffed pepper - very savory. The selection of cold dishes with meats and vegetables were generous and two of them included lovely olives. The bread was fresh and warm and went well with the food. My least favorite tapa was the chicken croquetas -it was a generous portion and tasty, but just not exquisite. Besides I was getting full. We skipped dessert and went out for gelato. Service was attentive and water glasses were kept filled. The restrooms upstairs were clean.