“A very lovely surprise” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dishes of India
Ranked #53 of 737 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“A very lovely surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

The Dishes of India is located in Alexandria but not in Old Town. The drive is about 3-4 miles down Richmond Hwy in a strip mall. The entrance is very hidden and the front exterior not flashy but rather hard to spot; amble parking. When you walk in you are in for a surprise; you are surrounded by glass walls and a stair case that takes you downstairs to the lower level. I did not see an elevator for those who cannot manage stairs, I would call beforehand if that is a concern.

The atmosphere was warm, candlelit and welcoming. We started with a bottle of wine, the list is not extensive but they do have a few choices, very reasonably priced at around $30 per bottle. For appetizers we tried a pastry filled with vegetables called Samosa and the garlic Naan bread. We asked for a spicy mint sauce that was a bright green color and mango chutney. All of it was just a flavor explosion. Hot spicy, sweet and savory. And you can manage the spice if you prefer mild great, but we liked the spicy flavors. All of the food was a good value.

For dinner we tried the Tandoori Shrimp, the Lamb Vindaloo, the Jhinga Vindaloo, the Daal Masala (Lentils) and the bread basket. All of them amazingly delicious and complex in flavors. My only advice is that I liked the lamb and shrimp dishes more than the chicken and I would have ordered the bread basket earlier in the meal. It came mid-meal when we were starting to fill-up.

Now for you carb avoiders, I am one of you…I always skip the bread…please do yourself a favor and go for the bread, it is the most incredible part of the meal and a special ‘trip’ to India would not be the same without it.

We did not try desert so I cannot offer any suggestions. Try and eat family style and share everything on the table so you can experience more of what they have to offer. I will certainly be back!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Margaret H

Alexandria, Virginia
“Best Indian in Alexandria VA and the DC Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

This is the best Indian food in Alexandria VA. Sure it is in a strip mall next to a Subway, but the food is delicious. The spices are a perfect blend of heat and flavor. The service cannot be beat. I always order to go and the wait staff are friendly and kind. I order the vegetarian rice dishes and these are the best I have ever had. I have been visiting Dishes of India since 2000 and never had a bad meal. If you want flavorful and delicious Indian food, look past the strip mall location and walk down the stairs to Indian food paradise.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank KittyKatOBX
JMFPEDS
“Our favourite spot in Alexandria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2014

We have been eating here ever since it opened, and have never had a bad meal, eating everything from salmon to beef to lamb to vegetarian, done tandoori or with a sauce, and still go once or twice a month; with everything well prepared, and a variety of options, the food never gets stale

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Great buffet with kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Downstairs in a small mall, but worth the trip. My teenage kids love the buffet. Excellent food ready when you arrive and great service. Live nearby and this offers a great alternative to other fast dining choices. The buffet offers great chicken and sometimes shrimp that we all enjoy.

Visited June 2014
Douglassville, Pennsylvania
“Better than you'd think”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

Okay, this Indian restaurant is in a strip mall. Okay, it's not only in a strip mall but it is down a level from the Chinese restaurant along the sidewalk.Wait. Wait. Come back. Try it. Honestly. This is a very nice place, even a little upscale, and the food is terrific!

I've eaten here 4 or 5 times, always for the lunch buffet. The dinner prices are a bit steeper, so I can't say how dinner is. BUT, the lunch buffet is really quite nice. The atmosphere is nice. Thick cloth tablecloths and napkins. The waiters in suits & ties. Goblets are filled with ice water as soon and you are seated and you get very nice service for a buffet lunch. This is a smaller place, so there is not a HUGE buffet, but there are a half dozen entrees plus wonderful naan and Indian rice pudding. Yum! If you like Indian, or you want to bring someone who MIGHT like Indian, try this. It is not TOO hot, but there are curries and chutney to zip up the heat if that's how you like it. My daughter is a vegeterian and she LOVES this place. They have a couple of chicken entrees and usually a large salmon if you're not a vegetarian, but either way the food is very, very tasty.

• Visited April 2014