“Not worth it; go to a King Street restaurant”

Chart House Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Chart House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Cross street: Union Street
Transit: King Street Metro Station
Reviewed May 24, 2013

While the food is consistent as a chain and the view pretty, the service is subpar and nearly ruins the experience.
We made multiple requests for the same items, were left unattended to and had a server who was obviously over his head. He spilled on the table, ran his sleeve through several dishes as he served and was unkept and hard to understand.
There are wonderful restaurants in Old Town that make you feel appreciated and provide a service level that is great, even special. Don't bother here.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The Chart House is a Landry property. They have an excellent Sunday brunch with salad bar included and 99cent Mimosa's. We were pleased with the food and the view. Service was good. A bit pricey, but for the area not that bad for what you get in quality and presentation. Would go back, and do recommend.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

Excited by the wonderful views of the waterfront, we climb the stairs to the upper floor and ask for a table by the windows. Despite the fact that there are only three other tables occupied, we are taken to the furthest away corner, a dungeon-like space with no visibility. We insist on changing the table and eventually get one of the many available ones right where we wanted it to begin with.

We soon notice that for some strange reason waiters move in pairs: male & female. I feel quite surreal ordering to two people at the same time. No, it’s not only for us: the other three occupied tables have their own pairs of servers. It seems like a great deal of waste to me. Especially when you add the fact that there are bus boys as well.

The Caprese salad has a bunch of arugula thrown by the mozzarella and tomatoes and comes as requested: with dressing on the side. The greens for the Caesar’s salad are fresh and appetizing. Just as we start chewing, the pair of waiters appear to inquire how’s everything. Unfortunately, ten minutes later, when we are done with our quick bite and ready to go, there is nobody to bring the bill. Waiting for the bill and paying takes longer that the lunch itself!

I don’t think we are going back, even with the terrific views.

1  Thank Oliver S
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband & I chose Chart House as our "fancy" dinner while visiting Alexandria this week. At first I thought the prices were steep until I checked out the menus of the other seafood restaurants on King Street. The price were the same, but they did not offer waterfront dining, so we chose Chart House! We asked for a seat near the window, overlooking the river, and we were seated right away. Unfortunately, the seat we were given was next to an indoor fire and it was HOT. The staff was extremely accommodating and we were moved to another window seat with-in minutes. The fire looked nice, but it was nearly 90 degrees and muggy outside, which is why we chose to sit inside in the AC.

For starters, I had crab soup, my husband had New England clam chowder, and both were very good. For dinner I chose the lobster tail and he chose steak medallions in a mushroom sauce. Again, both dishes were very good. My husband had a Manhattan cocktail that was so strong he had to add water to it! The waiter was very friendly and service was prompt.

Overall, it was a very pleasant dining experience and I am glad we chose Chart House. They offer a dessert that takes 30 minutes to prepare - maybe next time I will try that!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

after we tried to walk in to eat we finally made reservations. Dinner was excellent totally worth the wait!
the view of the boats going by helped us enjoy the dinner:)