“Local Favorite!”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed July 16, 2013

If you live in Old Town or are just visiting, you must visit Hard Times! I stop by once a month to enjoy a different chili each visit. I never thought I’d fall in love with a vegetarian chili, but here I have. The atmosphere is relaxed and appropriate for a couples date or a visit with kids. Everyone will find something to love on the menu. If you don’t order something with cornbread, ask your server for a sample – it’s great!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Good place to stop after a long dayof sight seeing. Liked the chili sampler. Good Texas chicken sandwich.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place was an amazing place to eat. First off, the Texas and Cincinnati style chilis are spot on, and being able to sample the chili before we ordered was a big plus. We were very impressed with the sheer quantity of the food for the price we paid. I recommend the Polish Cowboy.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My first night in Alexandria, my friends dined with us...us being my daughter and I. The chili are their signature dishes. They bring samples to nubes like me. I found one I liked (don't recall the flavor), but they were salty, like my language sometimes. Not bad by any means, but more salt than I like in an actual meal.

Price/value was good. Beer selection was pretty good, mostly owned by mega corporations...I live in Eugene, Oregon where that is frowned upon.

Our waitress seemed like she was phoning it in, not very engaging but keeping an eye on our needs.

Atmosphere was OK, sports on TVs peppered around the place. We were on the 2nd floor.

We were in town 5 days, ate here the first night, and not once considered coming back. Too many other better options, I guess.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Liked - Family Friendly. Crayons, Kids meals, cups with secure lids, free chili sampler. Disliked - Complete my fault, I wanted to be in an Old Town eatery not Texas.