“Worth it!”
Review of RT's Restaurant

RT's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
RT's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 769 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Glebe Rd
Transit: Bus at corner of Russell and Mount Vernon Avenue
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This place is by no means anywhere close to me, but it was worth the trip. My full meal was: Appetizer - Fried Oysters and Horseradish Cream with Fresh Tomato Corn Salsa, Entree - Smothered Fried Catfish topped with Shrimp Etouffée, Dessert - Warm Bread Pudding w/Bailey's Irish Cream Toffee Sauce, Drink - Cajun Martini made with Absolut Peppar and Dry Vermouth with Hot Olives and Onions. I cleaned ALL my plates.

The fried oysters were great - fresh, not fishy-tasting, moist under the batter and the salsa was just the right touch of freshness with the richness of the rest of the dish. There were four on the plate, so just the right appetizer size. I love fried catfish but my one complaint has always been lack of seasoning. Not so in this case. A nicely fried moist catfish that was SEASONED. The etouffée was very flavorful and the shrimp done just right. Somehow the catfish remained crispy even under the etouffée - though that could be due my speed-eating. It was just that good. It was served w/a side of white rice which mixed nicely with the meal. I love bread pudding and if it's on the menu, I will try it. This was one of the better ones I tried. The portion was huge - maybe a little too huge. There was just the right amount of sauce and the fresh whipped cream included on the dish was a welcome addition. Dessert wasn't too sweet or too bland. And it really was a warm. The drink was ok, I guess. I think I would have preferred that preparation in a Bloody Mary form, but that's just personal preference.

I would recommend this place to anyone and I would love to go again.

2  Thank divasoul

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I now live within walking distance of this place, and had been meaning to try it because of rave reviews from several. I'm not in the least disappointed.

We started with the she crab soup that had been highly recommended by a co-worker. I could have just kept eating this all evening without anything else, and been totally satisfied! The restaurant is worth it for the soup alone.

I chose the shrimp and crab etoufee for my entree, and again I was quite pleased. Seasoning was just right.

Service was quick and friendly. I did have a problem understanding my server's accent when she recited the specials, and I really never did get as clear an idea of the specials as I would have liked.

There was a fair bit of noise from two large groups that were there, though not to the level that conversation was difficult.

Prices are on the high side for this area. Not that that will keep me from returning for some more delicious food. I saw many menu items I want to try in due time.

1  Thank Christopher S
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Love this little restaurant. Have been there 2 or 3 times. Was excellent every time. The service is superb. The recommendations are spot on. I didn't particularly like the fried soft shell crab. For some reason I didn't realize it was going to be fried. Just wasn't a fan of it. The person I was with said they would take it and eat it for lunch the next day. Ordered another entre which I liked a lot better. Without having to say anything, the waitress said the manager wanted to treat us to 1 desert since I hadn't really liked the original entre ordered. Thought it was so awesome I didn't even have to say anything.

I would highly recommend. The prices are somewhat high to me, but still good value and a top notch restaurant. It is nothing fancy, but has enough class on its own. It is a unique place that serves very good food. The food speaks for itself. Will definitely come back.

1  Thank oquick1
Reviewed July 9, 2012

When we drove up to the place- my other half said "are we in the right neighborhood?" The outside is nothing to look at but once you got in - it was a place you would guess had been there for 40 some odd years. We were seated and two seconds later an older gentleman said to us - " you still do not have your water?". He came back seconds later with the water and started telling us silly jokes. I assume he was the owner and he was delightful.

We split a cup of the She Crab soup which was insanely good. The best I ever had and i was ready to cancel my order and just drink more soap. The entrees we had were the RT's Special Crab and Spicy Pecan Crusted Haddock. If you love crab and only crab get the Special Crab. The haddock was very good also and the portion was about twice the size I was expecting.

Simply a great seafood meal. Photos of the entrees.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

I attended the Jazz concert last night at the Birchmere and slipped into RTs for a quick bite beforehand (the food is far and above better in RTs than at the Birchmere, believe me). I had the garden salad (which includes hearts of palm-unusual and delicious) and added lump crabmeat and topped it off with their famous coconut cake for dessert. That cake is worth every crazy calorie, it is that good! I'm thinking maybe I should buy a house closer to this restaurant...

1  Thank Traveldiva36