“Sub par dining experience, probably not to be repeated”

Romano's Macaroni Grill
Ranked #503 of 754 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Sub par dining experience, probably not to be repeated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Thought we could rely on the Macaroni Grill brand to fulfill our hunger for inexpensive Italian. Alas, it didn't happen. When we walked in, there was nobody at the hostess stand. For about a while. Finally someone showed up and we were seated at a table near the kitchen entry to the dining room. The restaurant was busy; it was Sunday evening and many families were dining out. The children were all well behaved, it was the noisy kitchen manager yelling up and down the line about the orders who made us uncomfortable.

Finally a waitress arrived to take drink orders. For entrees, we ordered a fall special: butternut squash asiago cheese tortoloni and create your own pasta with bolonese sauce, meatballs and italian sausage. The first dish was lacking in butternut squash and arrived at the table barely warm, like it had been sitting someplace for a while. The pasta dish featured only three SMALL meatballs and a bit of sausage. The meatballs were $3 extra, so that's a dollar per meatball! We felt cheated in both dishes.

We declined desert and after filling out a comment card that entitled us to $5 off our next visit, we left. Full but unsatisfied. I've been to other MGs and this one did not meet the standard I was anticipating. Very average on many levels.

• Visited September 2012

Fort Belvoir, Virginia
“Wonderful Place to Eat and Comce Back to !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

This was my first time eating here. It was wonderful ! My husband won't come here , so it'll be a girls lunch out place . But, I plan to come back ! Our server was wonderful , POLITE, and just a joy ! The food was amazing too and so is the restaruant !

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Sandra M
Woodbridge, Connecticut
“Can't go wrong”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

Again, this is a chain restaraunt. Similar to Ruby Tuesdays or something.

Despite what other reviewers have said, we found the service to be wonderful. In particular, ask for Leslie. He goes out of his way to make sure you are having a good meal. The managers are also very attentive.

• Visited August 2012
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I went for dinner on a Sat night. It was busy but the service was good and the food was solid. My only negative is that the price for wine is a little expensive.

• Visited August 2012
Alexandria, va
“Frequent customer here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We eat here probably several times a month. Although the service can sometimes not be the best when busy, it is fairly consistent.

I have never reallty had any issues with the food here. The bibb and blue salad is great (enough though I get it without the blue cheese).

My husband loves the spaghetti and meatbals and I really enjoy the "pick you own pasta" where they give me the paper and I choose the type of pasta, sauce and ingredients.

Not necessarily stellar enough for a special occassion, but definitely great for some quick italian.

• Visited July 2012