Romano's Macaroni Grill
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This place was very average. We tried two different pasta dishes and both were just OK. The bread tasted frozen with salty butter on top. The service was average. I know it is a chain, but I remember it used to be better. It was a Sunday night and it was packed. Maybe a bad night; but you can make better at home.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

A hit or miss kind of place. A lot of times the appetizer is served just before the food, which is frustrating. Servers can be hard to flag down. On the other hand, that's not all the time. Some times they are spot on, and that's why I keep going back. Nobody's perfect all the time.

I hate being sat in the back as the kitchen staff usually has the door open to the outside to cool themselves, but it gets awful cold for the diners in winter.

Their food is almost consistently good. Stick with the pastas. I did send something back recently as it was stone cold (But that was the first time in 15 plus visits). Their pork chop is wonderful too.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

As I mentioned in the title, the food is pretty good. The problem is with the service. We dined there and the waiter was on his cell phone and comparing notes with the other wait staff on roommates and the like. We were never served bread whereas everyone around us was served bread. The drinks went unfilled as he never asked us if we wanted a refill. I saw patrons walking to the bar to get refills of drinks and iced tea.

The waiter gave us our menus but never asked us if we wanted to order. We finally had to say to him that we want to order. Clearly, this guy had something else on his mind other than service. We have had that experience at Macaroni's Grill before, but not to this extent. The wait staff is clearly more interested in cell phones, text messages and gossip rather than serving customers. Keep this in mind if you go, as the food is pretty good, but the service will drive you away.

Reviewed December 24, 2011

Tried the Macaroni Grill for the third time in the last who knows how many years and things haven't changed. The food has no seasoning and nothing taste's like mama would have cooked. For the money, almost anywhere would be a better value for one's dining dollars. People who eat here and think this is good food must be the same people who eat at Applebee's and simply don't know better and cannot cook. We ordered new appetizer mac and cheese bites, which were fried balls of a mac and cheese. How can you not get mac and cheese correct, I can tell you, don't season it one bit and use very little cheese of little taste. The extra charge for the olives was an insult, the olives tasted like they were out of can from years ago, Soup was served cold, but reheated and acceptable. The main course of eggplant we were informed was cooked and not frozen or prepared in advance, but lack of hot oil can ruin good eggplant and without adequate seasoning eggplant and pasta taste, well, like bland eggplant and bland pasta. The chef's or cooks at Macaroni grill need to learn what fresh garlic, onion, italian seasonings, mushrooms, spices, mere salt and pepper, self added made the meal palatable, but for $50 for two without drinks but for a cappacino (which was good,suprise) and hot tea, I would never suggest this meal to anyone wanting decent Italian food. Let's just call it Italian style food absent taste, albeit a tastefully decorated ambiance.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

I first came here for lunch last month, and now I came for an early dinner with colleagues. It's like a little slice of Italy. I have been to Italy numerous times and I know what I'm talking about.

Wine: good. Food: authentic. Cocktails; basic. Service: good.

The manager first met us and started us off just right with a quiet corner table and a half-price bottle of chianti.

The waiter, Hicham, provided good service and met our needs. Not five-star polish, but adequate for this type of restaurant. Service was prompt, efficient, and not overly intrusive.

It's really hard to find a good restaurant in this neighborhood. I often go to the Red Lobster in Alexandria, and this restaurant is about the same level of quality.

Parking is easy because it's in the front parking lot of a huge shopping mall. So it's easy in and out.