“Fun place to eat”

Union Street Public House
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Street Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #91 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Union Street Public House is, and has been for 30 years, a casual dining classic American restaurant. Colonial brick front, beautiful adornments, with 3 bars and 3 separate dining rooms, there is ample space and variety for all sizes and tastes! A local favorite, Union Street has an ever evolving food and beverage program, nightly specials and our famous oyster bar.
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Party of seven and we we're accommodated easily. Waiter was very friendly and helpful. We had a variety of food and everyone enjoyed their food. I had the gumbo which was good, but spicy.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We were traveling with a wee one - and a place with multiple tv screens, lots of noise and lots of people is a perfect spot. The wee one is entertained, you don't have to worry about shushing, and everyone relaxes more. PLUS - the food was really good, the Happy Hour specials were great, the service was up-to-par, and a good time was had by all. I especially liked the wings wich were smoked and then sauced! Burger was solid, too. I would visit again, with - or without - a little one in tow.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

This Old Town Alexandria mainstay has always been a favorite of mine. It’s served me well as an after-work spot for dinner with co-workers, with good food, good service and reasonable prices. Did I mention the excellent selection of craft beers?

My most recent visit was for Sunday brunch, and they had a nice selection of entrees, along with Mimosas and Bloody Mary’s. I had the Chesapeake Eggs Benedict, with crab cakes on top of the English Muffins instead of Canadian Bacon. It came out with a side of fried potatoes and, as others have mentioned here, the portion was just right, leaving me sated but not stuffed. My wife went the Caesar Salad route, and commented that the anchovy component in the dressing was pretty discernible but not overwhelming.

We ate in the upstairs dining room, but I should mention that the ground floor bar was hopping in the early afternoon with NFL games on all the TVs and plenty of fans.

Old Town can be dicey at times, being as it is a tourist magnet. I’ve seen lots of restaurants come and go, some good ones and quite a few mediocre ones. Union Street Public House keeps doing solid business because they stick to the bottom line of good food, well-prepared without gouging the customer.

Definitely worth repeat visits.

Reviewed December 10, 2013

For a recent night out on the town 8 of us decided on going to this restaurant down in Old Town Alexandria. We specifically asked for seating in an area where we could talk, and the management said they could accommodate us when making a reservation. As we entered the front door we were directed to an area of the restaurant to the left, where we found our table waiting for us. I noted that there were very few people in that part of the restaurant at that time (about 6 p.m.), so it was ideal for us to sit and chat over drinks as we waited for our meal.

The menu is limited but superb, with something for everyone. Service was outstanding, with several wait people making sure that we were satisfied (plenty of water, drinks, etc.). The food portions were just right - not too much, but not so small in amount that you leave hungry. We had room for dessert, and each of the 4 couples shared a delicious treat that really hit the spot.

Unfortunately the room we were in became especially popular, as it was packed with several groups of people by the time dessert arrived. That pretty much ended our ability to talk at normal levels at our table, which was one of the reasons we all went out together. According to others in our group the other parts of the restaurant would have been much louder. In the end, we enjoyed the meal and the service but missed having the opportunity to talk to each other in a normal voice. As it was we ended up leaving sooner than expected just so we could chat with each other.

Tip - park south of the restaurant on Union Street about a block away in a parking garage; a great deal at only $5.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

After the Alexandria Scottish Christmas Walk, around 1:30 PM, we headed to the Union Street Public House with friends. The bar was packed with Scots, Pipers, and Kilts; however, after a few minutes, a table was free for four in the dining area where it was busy, but quieter. I enjoyed the Crab Bisque and the Oyster Po'Boy while others had Beef and Barley Soup and various large salads. Service was quick and pleasant, food was very good, and the prices were reasonable.