“Good vibe, good food, good service”

Union Street Public House
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Street Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 767 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Union Street Public House is, and has been for 30 years, a casual dining classic American restaurant. Colonial brick front, beautiful adornments, with 3 bars and 3 separate dining rooms, there is ample space and variety for all sizes and tastes! A local favorite, Union Street has an ever evolving food and beverage program, nightly specials and our famous oyster bar.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I planned a last minute birthday party for my husband so many restaurants could not accommodate us. We had over 25 people. Union Street accommdated us easily and with no complaints.

I was a bit scared of the food quality after reading some reviews but everyone was quite pleased with their meal. All of the meals came out together. There were so many different meals from fish and chips to gumbo to oyster to salads and there were no major complaints.

We mainly chose the place for the kid-friendly atmosphere and beer choices and we were pleased with both.

The service wasn't perfect but I still was pleased and felt they did a great job overall. There were no major hiccups by any means.

I felt it was a good value for the price too. I would go again.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have eaten here maybe 3 times, the last time was probably a year or so ago. Went on Saturday evening with 2 other couples. They only take reservations or call ahead for groups of 8 or more. The location is right down by the water on S Union so parking will likely be in a parking garage with limited street parking - that cost us $7.

We ate early, a little after 5:30, so getting in was no problem at all and it was quiet enough to hold a normal conversation at the table since they weren't really full. We ate in the upstairs section and the ambiance is nice with lots of wood, sort of simulated timber decor. We were seated immediately and our waitress got our drink orders right away as we waited for the last 2 people in our party. In our party we had the fish and chips, hanger steak, pork chops, ribeye steak, scallops and fried chicken - oysters for appetizer. Fish & chips was good (3 pieces of fish), but too much heavy batter for my taste. My wife said her fried chicken was excellent, and she had two biscuits but they were cold, not hot. The ribeye was cooked more well done than requested, but flavorful. The pork chops got a very good rating but the hanger steak only mediocre. The scallops were very good but only about 5 on the plate so not a large quantity. There is a decent tap selection for beer and prices are reasonable. The service was very good throughout the meal. This place used to have great onion straws, but they don't have them, or onion rings, anymore. We did not have dessert, although the ones we saw at other tables looked very good.

Overall, I can only give an average rating for OK food and reasonable prices. I was more impressed during previous visits which is why we recommended it to our friends who were with us and had not been before. With all the choices for similar menu items in this area not a place I will go out of my way to visit again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a great pub tucked away on Union st. near the river. They have a great selection of local beers on draught. I had a porter that was season appropriate and the fried calamari. Watch out for the jalapenos they are quite hot and require water and more beer to put out the fire. I had a great beer chat with the bartender. He really knew his way around the local brewing scene.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had a great burger here. The atmosphere was very nice; the booths have a nice private feel to them. Excellent service too.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Great atmosphere, good food, friendly staff, cold beer at a great bar. Almost heaven. My wife and I come here several times a year, and its my birthday go-to.